Under the supervision/direction of Material Handlers Lead and/or the Manager, Distribution Services is responsible for the receipt, verification, storage and distribution of all supplies, equipment and departmental records held by the Alexian Brothers Hospital Network.
This position will be located in Hoffman Estates, IL.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Inventory and Distribution of Supplies: Responsible for the logging data and distribution of items from the ABHN distribution centers and Receiving areas to end-users on predetermined and on-call basis following all appropriate safety and infection control procedures as prescribed in the current hospital policies and procedures. Informs supervisors of problems
- Determines re-supply requirements of assigned locations. May used hand-held device and/or hard copy to record inventory levels; verifies accuracy of items picked, coordinates substitute items when required. Communicates with customers concerning any changes to the requested supplies. Loads data into a computer; restocks inventory as indicated; applies credits as required, completes paperwork necessary for stock replenishment.
- Picks medical supplies and equipment from ABHN distribution centers and delivers them to the appropriate nursing unit or department.
- Keeps records of damaged or defective items; discrepancies in quantities, source and destination of materials received, shipped or distributed.
- Fills requests for supplies received via phone, walk-in, computer or fax.
- Investigates complaints; takes appropriate action; documents action taken
- Maintains assigned inventories; maintains records showing storage locations and supplies; verifies accuracy and condition of product, maintains par levels. Completes cycle counts and periodic inventories. Participates in the annual inventory of the perpetual inventory.
- Stock and restock inventories as required. Stocking and restocking will consist of bulk deliveries from vendors or areas that have overstocked supplies kept.
- Places stock in assigned locations. Assists customers in unloading bulk, non-par, and non-stock items in the appropriate locations as required by hospital policies and procedures
- Conducts or assist as in the loading and unloading of trucks as necessary using power and manual equipment following all safety and handling procedures.
- Unpacks equipment or material and prepares for distribution; counts weighs, and identifies items received; takes appropriate action to handle discrepancies
- Assembles, sorts and records issues of equipment and supply items which are delivered while maintaining a log for delivered goods and obtaining appropriate signatures verifications of deliveries.
- Prepares and maintains shipping records, makes up Bills of Lading and posts weight and shipping charges and other documentation for shipment of materials, finished goods and related items.
- Participates in the assembling and shipping of outgoing supplies, merchandise, or materials
- Receives, sorts, delivers and records activity of express and courier shipments
- Loads and stages delivery vehicles for efficient routing
- Prepares outgoing mail as directed, sorts mail and distributes as required (SAMC only)
Inventory, Tracking, and Cleaning of Equipment (ABMC only): Provides pick-up and return of equipment to central areas, monitors equipment for cleanliness and maintenance and informs supervisor of all problems.
- Provides pickup of designated soiled medical equipment from units following the hospital’s infection control policies and procedures.
- Cleans soiled medical equipment received following the hospital’s infection control policies and procedures
- Accurately records the issuance of equipment for patient charging
- Ensures stored equipment is plugged in and charged and ready for issue to any unit
- Inspects medical equipment for serviceability to include ensuring safety checks are conducted by Clinical Engineering
- Coordinates the exchange of unserviceable equipment with vendor as appropriate
- Enters patient charges for all equipment
- Manages equipment inventory
Storeroom and Par Locations Maintenance:
- Assists in putting away supplies, organizing inventory, straightening shelves, and cleaning storeroom and assigned locations.
- Works with customers to redesign par stock areas and other supply locations. Ensures par stock areas are labeled correctly.
Training: Assists in orientations, training, and in-services.
Quality Assurance : Actively participates in Departmental Quality Improvement and Training Programs as required by the network’s policies and procedures.
Other Duties and Responsibilities :
- As directed, completes work from the previous shift to accommodate departmental workflow.
- Completes all other duties, projects and programs with Materials Handler II responsibilities as directed by Supervisor.
- Performs duties of a Materials Handler I based on operational needs of the department as appropriate.
- Communicates to supervisors any workflow impediments, safety issues, equipment malfunctions or requests for service which are abnormal and/or not understood.
- Performs duties in a cost-effective manner. Communicates to supervisors any wasteful practices.
- Represents department and provides routine explanation of services to users
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
Discretion and confidentiality required when handling all information. May have access to patient and employee files in the form of computer information
- Initial supervision is required for each job.
- Supervisor determines assignments, objectives, priorities and deadlines. Must be able to plan and organize work, based on minimal direction.
- This position may supervise others when designated as shift lead
- Acts as a technical resource; may direct other employees in similar work.
MINIMAL JOB REQUIREMENTS: (necessary to adequately perform the Job Functions)
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must have the abilities to receive and follow instructions, read and write English, extract information, and perform mathematical and clerical work
- Must have a minimum of six months experiences as a Materials Handler I or similar experience in another hospital
- Must be able to perform all functions in the storeroom, OR, receiving dock or other designated area, within one year of promotion/employment. Must be able to move within divisions of the department based on work load and operational needs.
- Must be able to interact with various levels of nursing staff and other personnel within the Health System
- Must be able to work days, evenings or nights and weekends
- Must be able to work at different locations with the Alexian Brothers Hospital Network
- Medical supply knowledge is desirable
Must be able to use the following equipment in the course of performing this job:
- Calculator or 10-key
- Computer terminal or PC
- Hand-held units
- Power/manual lift trucks
- Wire/plastic carts
- Automated supply cabinetry
- Miscellaneous supply transporting equipment
Mental and Physical Demands
Continuous exposure to extremely difficult or disagreeable physical conditions or possible exposure to potential or actual health or safety hazards.
- Able to multitask
- Able to remember tasks throughout an extended period
- Eye/hand coordination
- Frequent light carrying of objects up to 25 pounds
- Able to push/pull objects more than 50 pounds on a cart.
- Able to lift objects more than 25 pounds and less than 60 pounds.
- Constant bending, reaching, climbing, walking and standing
Alexian Brothers Health System - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard -