General Description of Duties: |
Functions as a member of the triage team performing basic medical assisting duties. The Medical Assistant approaches his/her tasks in a team based care fashion that supports patients and their families in self-management, self-efficacy and behavior change.
Adheres to the spirit of the SALUD mission statement while performing assigned duties.
Under the supervision of the Triage Supervisor and/or all Medical Providers.
- The Medical Assistant acts as a patient advocate for our vulnerable populations by ensuring that the patients are fully informed and comfortable with their visit to SALUD.
- Maintains medical electronic records, logs and charts.
- Stocks and maintains exam rooms.
- Maintains patient flow through the clinic.
- Maintains respect for privacy by adhering to confidentiality in all phases of work.
- Collects and records: vital signs, blood pressure, height, weight, head circumference, pulse, respirations, EKG, instrumentation, sterilization, vision testing, hearing testing, ear irrigation.
- Assist with surgical, and gynecological procedures, phlebotomy, bandaging, inhalation therapy, splinting, and x-ray.
- Assist in maintenance of instruments and equipment.
- Cleans and autoclaves instruments as needed.
- Collects CBC, hematocrit, urinalysis, blood chemistries, pregnancy tests, PKU, slide preparation, throat, urine, and gonorrhea cultures.
- Performs injections, administer oral medication under the supervision of a provider.
- Maintains drug room, medication samples, immunization supplies and logs.
- Ability to triage accurately by phone or in person.
- Provides medical services appropriate to the age-specific needs of all patients in accordance with the principles of growth and development for infant, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric life cycles. Acts as a translator as needed for providers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to an inclusive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position.
Qualifications for Appointment:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to learn the necessary skills. Ability to relate with co-workers, patients and their sensitivity to each individual needs. Must work well with the patient care team. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Sensitivity to low income and ethnic minority community a must.
High school diploma or GED. Graduate from a medical assistant program or equivalent, preferred.
One year of clinical work as a medical assistant preferred, or three years experience in a medical field.
None needed, certified or registered preferred
Bloodborne Pathogen Risk Level:
High risk for bloodborne pathogens
Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for prolonged periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Requires exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids. Requires working under stress in emergency situations or irregular hours. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record data electronically and communicating with patients.
CareerBuilder - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard