Via Christi Health's rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dates back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, Via Christi Health is the largest provider of health care services in Kansas. We serve Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through our doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
This position assigns International Classification of Disease (ICD) and diagnosis and procedure codes for inpatient, outpatient, and behavioral health or rehabilitation episodes of care, abstracts demographic and clinical data as directed. This role is essential to the performance of the Health Information Management (HIM) department and the financial performance of Via Christi Health. Works collaboratively with HIM peers, patient care areas, physicians, and revenue cycle departments to insure timely and accurate coding and abstracting for claims processing.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Completes inpatient, observation, outpatient surgery, and behavioral health or rehabilitation coding functions and completes designated abstracting fields, as assigned by HIM management, utilizing approved system workflow applications for coding, abstracting and financial billing (i.e. EHR, encoder, patient financial system)
- For Inpatient Rehab accounts, may complete admission coding for the IRF-PAI Patient Assessment Instrument
- Demonstrates the ability to achieve accurate, complete and consistent selection of principle andrelevant secondary diagnosis and procedures; identifies complications/co-morbid conditions; and verifies discharge disposition codes. Knowledge of CMS MS-DRGs, Present on Admission indicators, Hospital Acquired Conditions, CMS-CMGs, Rehab co-morbidities and regulatory guidelines and other quality indicators that impact reimbursement and public reporting.
- Queries physicians for clarification of documentation as directed by Coding Guidelines, Facility specific guidelines, Coding Clinic, and CPT Assistant .
- Responds to billing edit queries from Patient Financial Services within departmental guidelines.
- Follows American Hospital Association (AHA) Coding Guidelines and other regulatory agency directives for ICD, , and HCPCS II coding.
- Maintains current knowledge of coding issues by reading official coding guidelines such as AHA Coding Clinic , American Medical Association (AMA), CPT Assistant WPS and CMS medical necessity regulations .
- Meets productivity and accuracy requirements consistently per HIM policy.
- Maintains professional certification as mandated by professional organizations (AHIMA, AAPC) .
- Assists HIM management in orientation and training of new staff and contract coders, as requested.
- Attend continuing education seminars and section meetings via remote or on site as scheduled.
- May perform other duties or special projects as assigned.
This position has no management responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college with an emphasis in life science curriculum required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management. Preferred
- Two years of acute hospital coding experience. Preferred
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
- Displays guest relations and teamwork when performing duties. Demonstrates initiative to manage time appropriately and the ability to work without close direction.
- Possesses the ability to:
- Accept and implement change in a positive manner
- Respond to customer concern or complaint in a timely, positive, and resourceful manner.
- Must successfully pass VCH IP/OP, Rehab coding exam with a minimum of 85% accuracy to qualify for interview.
- Essential Knowledge: mastery of ICD coding conventions, CPT coding conventions and DRG/encoder applications. Mastery of coding guidelines for sequencing and selection. Highly knowledgeable of clinical information such as disease process, pathology, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, and procedural and surgical intervention.
- The employee should have knowledge of computerized encoder and abstracting systems as well as coding guidelines.
- Must be proficient in keyboarding skills.
- Must possess the ability to learn software utilized on a daily basis.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Required: Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), or must be eligible to sit for and successfully pass one of the above-mentioned coding certification or professional credentials within 6 months of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Frequently required to sit in a stationary position.
- Requires occasional movement throughout the day and occasional movement from one location to another throughout and across Via Christi Health locations.
- Requires occasional standing on hard and soft surfaces throughout the day.
- Occasionally performs activities that require stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and reaching with hands and arms throughout the day.
- Frequently uses hands and fingers to document and perform coding functions.
- Constantly able to communicate verbally and in written form.
- Frequently able to detect and discern both loud and soft sounds such as individual voices and phone calls.
- Frequently able to use all types of vision, such as close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception, to complete daily tasks.
- Occasionally required to detect unusual odors that could indicate environmental issues.
- Work setting is an office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Individual must be able to travel to multiple Via Christi Health locations, as needed.
Position Scope/Patient Population:
- This position serves Via Christi Health inpatient, one day surgery, and observation patient services.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Via Christi Health System - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard -