AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott. AbbVie combines the focus and passion of a leading-edge biotech with the expertise and capabilities of a long-established pharmaceutical leader to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world’s most complex and serious diseases. In 2013, AbbVie will employ approximately 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
PRIMARY FUNCTION / PRIMARY GOALS / OBJECTIVES:
The primary purpose of Commercial Operations organization is to provide centralized operational support to the PPD Division Commercial Sales organization to all franchises. The primary objective of the Commercial Operations team is to provide the overall strategy; direction, operational processes, resources and tools that enable sales team to effectively and efficiently drive sales in a compliant manner. The secondary objective of the team is to drive sales operational excellence and lower total cost of ownership across PPD Commercial Sales organization.
Mgr ABS Compliance Monitoring and Reporting
Responsible for establishing and implementing monitoring procedures related to field activity and compliance with approved Abbott Best Specialty (ABS) for each sales force. These procedures include development of communication processes with senior management and collaboration with HR/Employee relations as appropriate. Liaison with both the commercial organization and IM&T to ensure successful integration of monitoring reporting with downstream systems.
Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system by
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates technical knowledge in relevant software (e.g., Access).
- Possesses knowledge about the pharmaceutical sales data and relevant policies and procedures.
- Understands and adheres to the code of business conduct, operating policies and PDMA guidelines.
- Demonstrates clear and concise verbal and written communications skills with customers, peers, employees and vendors (e.g., presentation skills, informing/communicating processes [field and home office], listening skills). Demonstrates strong communication skills resulting in the ability to anticipate costumer and business needs and address questions or issues proactively.
- Actively participates in specific learning forums for personal and professional development. Routinely assesses and manages development plan by implementing suggestions, following up to discuss results and obtaining additional ideas for further growth. Mentors others in developing career and personal objectives.
Project / Process Lifecycle
- Establishes and sets department work plans, responsibilities and priorities.
- Recommends and implements strategies, policies, and procedures for function.
- Automates processes to speed timelines and increase quality control.
- Recognizes and considers implication of changes on other programs.
- Influences key stakeholders to gain approval on strategic initiatives.
- Recommends and implements, and manages strategies, policies, procedures, programs and initiatives for PPD Domestic.
- Coordinates with appropriate external and internal resources to develop and implement new systems and execute existing systems to support the implementation of program initiatives.
- Designs and implements new solutions.
- Guides project plan development and ensures the integration and alignment with cross-departmental processes and other projects. Follows sound project management practices in implementing changes and new programs.
- Reviews department processes. Seeks ways to improve efficiency and timeliness of processing.
- Oversees initiatives to ensure all key business deliverables and milestones are met to include: project plans, project charter, business requirements, user testing, training, deployment and ongoing operational support plans.
- Establishes timelines that are realistic and meet the needs of the business constituents. Oversee creation and audit of department deliverables. Makes sure that design is implemented appropriately.
- Ensures department operates and complies within established operating procedures and policies.
- Ensures department is up to date on required certification and compliance programs.
- Continually benchmarks processes versus industry. Leads business partners to improve/integrate business processes. Elevates Abbott's processes to best in class.
- Provides guidance and influences decisions by providing insight and functional expertise to franchises and support organizations, while maintaining an unbiased balance between sales effectiveness, compliance and operational cost.
- Acts as a business liaison between PPD field sales and IM&T to implement the tools and technologies to meet sales needs.
- Facilitates communication and key decisions with stakeholders.
- Manages department budgets or significant line items within a budget.
- Prepares financial models and estimates for new business development.
- Identifies opportunities and implement solutions to lower operating expense and/or increase productivity.
- Works with finance to ensure sound financial practices are employed.
- Effectively utilizes all available resources to manage diverse workload, maximize productivity, motivate employees, and encourage innovation.
- Manages recruiting, selection and succession planning activities to ensure professional and business goals are met. Performs activities related to employee relations (leave, vacations, timecards, etc).
- Coach team and individuals based on performance. Recommends appropriate training to employees and keep track of training required and received.
- Continually evaluates and develops team member's personal skills that will enhance team performance. Manages performance development progress.
ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
- Communicates effectively and works collaboratively with management, customers, peers, employees and vendors.
- Communicates with department constituents on timelines, business rules, changes to plans and implementation policies.
- Works with other departments (e.g., Finance, HR) to ensure compliance of program with Abbott policies and procedures.
- Reports to Senior Manager, or Associate Director of Sales Operations.
- Works with Sales Directors, Franchise management to design and implement PPD commercial sales operational processes.
- Responsible for department budget, sales budget or significant line items within budget of $1- 5 million
Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting Pharmaceutical Products (e.g. CFR 210/211, cGMP) specifically,
- Minimum of 6 years experience in areas relevant to the function, such as: Sales Incentives, Marketing Sales Operations, Finance, Customer Service, or Life Sciences, or Information Technology with a minimum of an AE performance rating.
- Experience in specific sales operations area preferred.
- Experience in people management is preferred.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry, sales data channels compliance regulations and standards preferred.
- Proven skills in Abbott leadership core competencies.
- Strong project management, problem solving, communication skills and analytical skills.
- Strong customer focus.
B.A. / B.S./Business degree or equivalent business experience within Abbott or related industry required. MBA desirable, but not required.
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
AbbVie - 2 years ago