GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
The GE Global Research Center is the worldwide research and development center for the General Electric Company. Its headquarters in Niskayuna, NY, is over one hundred years old, has nearly 100 research labs and hosts approximately 1800 scientists and engineers, most at the PhD level.
Within GE Global Research, the Software Science and Analytics arm is an organization dedicated to the invention, development, and application of software, computing, and decision sciences applied to Equipment Optimization, Risk Management, Healthcare, and Market Growth. Our core disciplines are Computer Science & Software, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Quantitative Finance, and Signal Processing.
The Machine Learning lab at GE Global Research has been a world-recognized leader in applying machine learning and AI to solving industrial applications for complex, critical infrastructure developed by GE, including jet engines, gas turbines, locomotives, wind turbines, healthcare imaging and oil and gas extraction equipment, and much more.
We are now building upon this legacy by assuming more leadership roles in creating new technologies to address GE’s current and future needs and initiating a presence in the Bay Area. GE Global Research is now seeking a leader to fully integrate “machine learning at scale” into GE’s Industrial Internet initiative.
We are looking for an experienced analytics leader with background in Machine Learning, Statistics, Data Mining or Artificial Intelligence or related quantitative areas, with a track record of innovation and leadership.
Our work at the GE Global Research Center is highly interdisciplinary and global in scope. Successful candidates will have the ability to lead a diverse team in collaboration with colleagues from other disciplines and with partners in GE business units.
As the Manager for the Machine Learning Lab, you will:
- Lead a team of approximately 8-12 scientists at GE Global Research within the Analytics Organization. The focus will be to partner with the Technology Leader and businesses on the long-term applied analytics vision, drive applied analytics technology inventions, and transfer these inventions from GE Global Research to the businesses. It will be important to establish key internal and external collaborations, and to recruit top technical talent.
- Collaborate with and provide technical leadership to senior machine learning researchers; Lead the team in deployment of supervised and unsupervised leaning problems in an applied research environment. Develop & deploy modern machine learning and statistical methods (CART and Random Forests, clustering and classification algorithms, Bayesian models, neural nets, SVM etc.) for finding patterns/models from industrial data, e.g. operation data monitored from industrial machines, processes, environments, etc. Familiarity with large data sets, cloud based development and deployment, open source practices and frameworks and experience in putting intelligent an application in production is desirable.
- Provide leadership in cloud-based, big data machine-learning applications.
- Ensure successful completion of the lab’s technical project assignments, and meet broader organizational objectives, such as budgets and financial commitments
- Ensure integration of the group’s work with the direction of the Software Sciences and Analytics organization
- Maintain and improve the group’s external reputation, including hiring highly qualified machine learning experts
- Drive technology program execution and technology transition to the businesses, meeting deliverables, budgets, and schedules, while also contributing technically to projects;
- Develop networks in the GE businesses, with external commercial customers, and with Academia and External Research Partners.
- Represent and promote GE’s Machine Learning research as applied to industrial internet applications in the technical community;
- Exemplify GE leadership values and make full use of GE initiatives
- Master's degree with at least 10 years of post-degree experience in analytical or business science industry related applications and theory.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies, including team management
- Demonstrated impact, leadership capability and ability to lead, build and energize cross-functional, global teams in high-impact technology.
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and industry trends; simplify strategy into specific actions, make decisions, and communicate priorities
- Demonstrated ability to influence at senior levels.
- Strong foundation in the application of machine learning or statistical theory
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge to solve practical statistical problems
- Demonstrated ability to produce research recognized by the external statistical community
- Willingness to travel periodically based on business need
- An outstanding reputation in the industry based on a solid track record of publications and research
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
This position is eligible for The Double Rewards Employee Referral Program
Imagine what GE Global Research will make happen next. If you are ready to join us, click on the “Apply to job” button below.
- Doctorate degree with experience in analytical or business science industry related applications and theory.
- Experience in financial, biotechnology, or engineering applications.
- Professional association recognition, e.g., IEEE PAMI, KDD etc.
- Excellent teamwork and customer focus.
- Ability to take initiative and deliver tangible results.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Save to cart
GE Careers - 11 months ago
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...