Work includes assignment planning, set up, operating and making tool adjustments for various types of manual and computerized numerically controlled (CNC) shop equipment, working from blueprints, process sheets and sketches to perform production tasks, which require the cutting and shaping of metal to precision dimensions.
1. Capable of efficient assignment planning, set up and operation various types of manual and CNC shop equipment.
2. Strong Manual and CNC Lathe expertise is required.
3. The ability to proficiently program CNC Lathes and Mills utilizing CAD/CAM software
a. MasterCam experience is a plus.
4. Capable of reading and interpreting blueprints, engineering drawings, process sheets and sketches to perform production tasks.
a. Demonstrated job planning abilities and knowledge of mathematics through trigonometry.
b. Possess an above average knowledge and understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
5. Capable of cutting and shaping of materials to precision dimensions as outlined.
a. Understands how to work with a variety of materials.
b. Experience with Copper and SST a plus.
6. The Ability to inspect all machining operations against specified tolerances.
a. Quality is Paramount
7. Capable of using all available inspection equipment to inspect machining operations against specified tolerances.
a. Equipment includes manual and CNC CMMs
b. The ability to program Mitutoyo CMMs is highly desirable
8. May communicate directly with engineers and customers to understand the purpose of a part or assembly.
9. May give work direction and assist with machine set-up for Machinist levels 1-4 as required. Capable to provide guidance and direction to other machinists on the resolution of complex machining problems.
10. Work with team to identify needs and design and build tooling production tooling
11. May identify and repair minor machine malfunctions.
12. Maintain a personal tool box, tools and measuring equipment necessary to adequately perform duties.
13. Perform addition tasks as required including but not limited to finishing, grinding, honing, brazing, mechanical assembly and repairs.
Minimum Required Skills and Knowledge:
1. Typical Education and Experience
a. A Journey/Experimental Level Machinist who has completed an apprenticeship and/or the equivalent with a minimum 4 years of concentrated machinist training.
b. 6 - 8 years of related experience.
c. An Associate Degree
2. Job Complexity:
a. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands the implications of the judgment and initiative and can seek or make recommendations for solutions.
b. As a Machinist with advanced competencies must be able to complete quality work in an efficient and timely manner.
3. Basic understanding of material logistics:
a. Basic understanding with the ability to adapt to business concepts such as Demand Flow, Statistical Process Control, Process Documentation, Empowerment, Six Sigma methods, Quality and/or Cost Improvement.
4. Familiar with business tools such as:
a. E-mail, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with SAP or equivalent ERP product and productivity software desired.
5. Possess strong teaming skills.
Supervision: May be a formal or informal team leader capable of determining methods and procedures that will be reviewed and/or followed by others.