Summary of Position :
Must possess skills necessary to lay out metal stock; set up and operate machine tools; understand, fit and assemble parts; fabricate and repair metal components used on injection molds. Be knowledgeable of use and operations of cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools. Apply knowledge of tool design and construction; shop mathematics, metal properties, welding, grinding, machining and assembly procedures. Program and set up CNC milling machines and CNC lathe.
Essential Job Functions:
- Studies specifications, such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines or processes required to fabricate parts.
- Strong understanding of safety procedures understanding the impact of potential working hazards.
- Compute dimensions, plan layouts, and determine assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for cutting, machining, drilling or welding components or assemblies.
- Set up and operate machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shaper and grinder to machine parts and verify conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Recognize and select the correct hardness (Rockwell Scale) of shafts, slides or contact surfaces to maximize operating life of machines, tools or equipment.
- Lifts machined parts manually or using a hoist, and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable using devices such as vises, V-blocks and angle plates.
- Smoothes flat or contoured surfaces using scrapers, abrasives stones, and power grinders and fits and assembles parts together as well as into assemblies and mechanisms using hand tools.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances using measuring instruments such as dial indicators, gauge blocks, thickness gauges, calipers and micrometers.
- Heat-treats tools or parts as required.
- Examine standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs or fixtures, and recommend design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Develop specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draw or sketch design of product.
- Review sketches or drawings and prepare parts and labor estimates to assist in making correct business decisions to justify repairs or modifications.
- Clean and maintain shop tools and equipment to retain good, safe operating order.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, bend or kneel to perform repairs or modifications. Employee must be comfortable with working in tight or close tolerances and must be able to maintain concentration of tasks at hand when under pressure to return equipment or tools to production capability. Ability to lift and move 60 pounds.
Experience and Education Required:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required
5 to 10 years experience in machining and CNC milling machines
Critical Skills and Behaviors Required:
Ability to read and comprehend multiple task instructions, correspondence and memos.
Ability to read and understand complex machine and component drawings.
Recognition of problems in equipment or tool design and implement countermeasures to improve operating performance.
Prioritize multiple repair problems.
Self-directed with minimum supervision required.
Strong knowledge of safety practices.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high and low electrical voltage, low levels of light. Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Overtime is a requirement for the position.