Keweenaw Research Center
Keweenaw Research Center (Calumet, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience and Qualifications (No less than $18.00 per hour)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Keweenaw Research Center Program Manager
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Machinist will set up, operate, and maintain machine tools and equipment. The Machinist designs and fabricates complex specialized components as required for research purposes. The Machinist operates and manages a modern machine shop.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Interpret specifications for mechanisms based upon sketches, blueprints, or verbal descriptions, and produce required components using creativity and/or original design.
2. Develop and prototype experimental instruments in support of on-going related research.
3. Provide assistance in best practices/approaches to accomplish projects.
4. Program Numerically Controlled Software and operate CNC machining center using Gibbs Cam using non-conversational controller.
5. Layout, design, and fabricate precision research components.
6. Set up, install, adjust, maintain, and repair precision laboratory apparatuses, machines, and equipment.
7. Perform heat treating, cutting, welding (acetylene, stick, machine inert gas, and tungsten inert gas), plasma cutting, brazing, sheet metal layout, and fabrication.
8. Requisition materials and parts and maintain inventory records.
9. Provide support and guidance and equipment safety training for students.
10. Work with ferrous, non-ferrous, plastic, ceramic, exotic alloys, wood and composite materials.
11. Use personal computers and basic software programs.
12. Perform general purpose metal shop precision work.
13. Responsible for cleanliness, sanitations and safety of machine shop.
14. Must be able to obtain and maintain Security Clearance.
15. Must adhere to university safety procedures.
16. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
17. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
18. Occasional travel may be required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Functional supervision may be exercised over student assistants.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
A high school diploma with technical training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Five years demonstrated ability working with drawings and sketches to make components using mills, latches, band saws, drill presses sheet metal equipment and grinders.
• Three years combined training and demonstrated ability programming and using computer numerically controlled ( CNC ) machines in a production or research environment.
• Demonstrated ability using personal computers and basic software programs.
• Demonstrated ability with computer numerically controlled machines, heat treating, welding, and fabricating.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Five years demonstrated ability using computer numerically controlled ( CNC ) machines in a production or research environment.
Knowledge of material properties and applications.
Capable of obtaining a forklift certification.
Experience with CAD and/or 3D modeling software such as Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, and AutoCad.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated knowledge of welding and machinist’s mathematical skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Demonstrated excellent performance in a related position.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; talk and hear; use ands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee occasionally is required to climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 50 pounds; occasionally moving over 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance, peripheral, and color vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving, mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 7 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...