The Machinist sets up and operates a variety of machine tools, using Proto-Trak, Mazak, surface grinders, and Bridgeport CNC milling machines, to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders
- Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers
- Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances
- Select the appropriate tools, machines, and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work
- Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock in order to display placement of cuts
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs
Job Skills & Experience Required:
Job Skills & Experience Preferred:
- 5+ years related experience
- Ability to operate CNC Bridgeport Mill
- Ability to operate surface grinders
- Ability to use and read measuring devices such as calipers, gauges, etc.
- Strong mathematical skills
- Trade school or vocational training
- Ability to run a Mazak machining center
- Ability to run a Mazak lathe
- Ability to work in Mastercam
- Journeyman machinist certification
Phillips Service Industries, Inc.
- 2 years ago - save job
Established in 1967, Phillips Service Industries, Inc. (PSI) is a privately-held global manufacturing and services holding company, which...