The MC sorts internal mail and delivers it to the destination, often using a cart to carry the mail between offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Day to day functions):
- Mail Clerks handle external mail, serving as the link between the U.S. Postal Service and individual offices and workers.
- Mail Clerks sort and date/time stamp incoming mail and deliver mail within large office buildings.
- They also prepare outgoing mail for delivery to the post office.
- To facilitate delivery of outgoing mail, mail clerks often determine if the mail is to be sent registered, certified, special delivery, or first, second, third, or fourth class, and may group mailings by ZIP code.
- When necessary, they contact delivery services to send important letters or parcels.
- Mail clerks operate machines that collate, fold, and insert material into envelopes for mailing.
- They also operate machines that affix postage and mailing labels and track the amount of money expended on postage.
- In addition, mail clerks use computers to keep records of incoming or outgoing items.
- The Mail Clerk may be cross trained to perform as a File Clerk, General Office Worker, and/or FDNS Clerk.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested
Minimum Experience, Education and Licensure:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- U.S. Citizenship
- Should have at least one year’s work experience preferably in an administrative or customer service field. Must qualify for a USCIS security clearance. The MC must be computer literate, be able to enter data at a reasonable rate, express or exchange ideas by the spoken word, and sit or stand for long periods of time. Must qualify for a USCIS security clearance and a DSS Secret Clearance.
- Computer skills required: MS Office, data entry skills
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment and relate well to others
- Ability to show initiative and commitment to the company’s goals
- Ability to readily adapt to changing requirements
- Strong commitment to performing and producing at the highest level of quality at all times
- Ability to manage individual workflow effectively and improve processes when necessary
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with coworkers both in written and verbal communications
- Positive attitude focused on customer satisfaction
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; use fingers and hands to type or write; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The MC must also be able to conduct repetitive body movements, push, pull, reach, stoop and/or bend and lift up to 45 pounds repetitively at times
This position is performed in a traditional office environment.
FCi Federal - 21 months ago