This position reports to the mailroom coordinator and is performing postal duties in the mailroom requiring familiarity with rules, regulations, policies and procedures in compliance with MTC, Otero County and the United States Marshal Services directives.
Among other duties, this position will: -
1. Process. All incoming and outgoing detainee correspondence, prepare forms and maintain records and files related to detainee correspondence.
2. Sort, open, inspect and scan detainee correspondence. Maintain related records. Deliver facility mail.
3. Act as authorized courier for receipt of registered, special delivery or other mails received for jail employees and/or detainees.
4. Sort departmental mail.
5. Provide information and responses to inquire regarding routine mailroom procedures.
6. Maintain contact with US Postal Service personnel and private mail carriers (i.e., UPS, Federal Express, etc.).
7. Operate postal equipment and ascertain postage needed.
8. Issue postage and writing material to indigent detainees and detainees on commissary restriction and enter data about postage and supplies issued into computer.
9. Assist in preparing various forms related to the processing of detainee correspondence and mailroom functions.
10. Deliver outgoing mail each afternoon to the post office.
11. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when appropriate behaviors are observed. Provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
12. Maintain accountability of staff, detainees and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent, and one (1) year of related experience preferred. Valid driver's license in the State of New Mexico or the State of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.
MTC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) prepares prison inmates for re-entry into society. It provides a variety of academic, vocational,...