This position is located at New River State Park, Laurel Springs, North Carolina. This Maintenance Mechanic III position functions at journey level and participates in the general upkeep of grounds, facilities, equipment, assists park rangers, and additional maintenance staff with maintenance requirements of New River State Park.
T his position will perform a variety of journey level trades to include HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, electrical repairs, and auto mechanics. This position must operate large tools and small equipment, work with and be familiar with all small and large tools and have the ability to learn a skill quickly. This position will perform preventative maintenance on all tools, equipment and facilities; trail construction and maintenance; boundary line trimming; prescribed burn assistance; and complete equipment maintenance.
This position will serve as the Park Equipment Manager and supervise temporary maintenance staff, volunteers, and prison crew. Ability to articulate safety issues and park information to visitors. Position will perform administrative duties such as record keeping, recording work hours, conduct performance management, complete operational forms, make purchases in accordance with State Purchasing Policies. This position will require public pesticide certification. Some weekend and holiday work required.
A SKILLS ASSESSMENT WILL BE CONDUCTED DURING THE INTERVIEW OF CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
**To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must provide the information on the application form. Any information omitted from the application form, listed as general statements, listed under the text resume section, or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit.**
After employment, the Maintenance Mechanic III must be able to obtain and maintain license/certification in the following:
- Demonstrated work experience performing journey level trades in at least two of the following: HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and/or auto mechanics.
- Demonstrated journey level experience in the operation and use of tools and equipment used in care of at least two of the following trades: HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and/or auto mechanics.
- Demonstrated experience with operation of tractors such as bush hogs, front end loaders, skid steers, and/or box blades.
- Ability to recognize preventative maintenance needed on equipment and facilities.
- Ability to train and supervise others in performing semi-skilled or unskilled work.
- Physical strength sufficient to move relatively heavy objects and to work at heavy manual tasks for considerable periods of times in all types of weather.
- Must meet DENR Fleet Safety Guidelines and maintain a valid Driver's License.
- Must complete basic First-Aid, First Responder, Boater Safety and Wildland Powersaws/Fire Fighting courses (S212, S130 & S190) and incident command system courses.
- Must have the ability to possess and maintain class A-Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within 3 months of hire.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a public pesticide operator's license within 24 months of hire.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
High school or General Educational Development diploma and two years of progressive experience in the assigned trades areas; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
To apply for this position, please click APPLY link above. SEE ATTACHED RESUME WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE APPLICATION. To receive credit, all experience must be included in the work history sections. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit. Faxed applications will not be accepted.
Persons eligible for veteran preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.
DENR uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. When a salary range is posted, the actual salary will be based on relevant competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position. All post-high school degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.
The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information, please contact:
Sheila Green (919) 707-9356
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 16 months ago