The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of SERVICE MANAGER. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. Every WRH employee is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives. Our company emphasizes a TEAM APPROACH which focuses on a spirit of cooperation and common purpose. Working together as a team encourages superior performance through open communication and decision empowerment.
The SERVICE MANAGER is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the community at all times. This involves ensuring a safe and secure living environment for residents, visitors and staff. It is the SERVICE MANAGER'S duty to anticipate, identify and correct any and all problems involving the property and to implement procedures that will prevent such problems. An effective program of maintenance is essential in order to:
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Cultivate resident satisfaction.
- Protect the investment of the apartment property owner.
The SERVICE MANAGER is also responsible to ensure that all maintenance employees are fully trained in their job duties and WRH policies and procedures prior to them attending formal professional development courses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conducts all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing laws, etc.
• Performs maintenance tasks personally or delegates to maintenance staff. Oversees and occasionally inspects work performed by the maintenance team. Documents inventory used for maintenance tasks.
• Institutes and manages a system for prioritizing/handling resident service requests and preventative maintenance. Corrects any maintenance situations within 24 hours when possible.
• Schedules maintenance staff to be available for emergency purposes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Conducts monthly scheduled safety meetings with the entire property staff (including leasing office); maintains and communicates HAZCOM standards. Uses WRH Training & Development Maintenance Safety Training Manual for training. Provides attendance rosters to the Director of Maintenance Operations each month.
• Keeps MSDS sheets current and readily accessible. Maintains thorough knowledge of pertinent laws, EPA and OSHA regulations governing property storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerants.
• Maintains constant awareness of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately corrects unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights, etc.
• Schedules and performs minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate equipment on a regular basis. Inspects and maintains all tools in safe condition.
• Provides new maintenance employee orientation training.
• Provides employee training as needed of all subordinate maintenance staff. Instills a "safety first" attitude not only with maintenance technicians but with all staff.
• Instructs staff on proper use and guidelines for using personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Performs daily safety inspections of the property and the maintenance shop.
• Performs scheduled maintenance of all equipment based on the manufacturer’s recommendation and operating manuals.
• Maintains accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, service requests (received and completed), expenditures, apartment make-ready status, work-in-progress, etc.
• Orders and maintains maintenance supplies.
• Maintains EPA required Freon log, MSDS log, Pool log, Capital Inventory Log and other logbooks as required by property manager.
• Maintains organization of maintenance shop.
• Coordinates pool maintenance to include cleaning and compliance with HRS standards.
• Maintains on-call report and log of service calls.
• Diagnoses and performs minor or routine maintenance or repair involving the following on a daily basis.
o Electrical and plumbing (including water lines).
o A/C and heating systems.
o Appliances (when applicable).
o Water irrigation systems.
o Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
o Tile, carpet, flooring.
o Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
o Interior/exterior lights.
o Fireplaces, ceiling fans.
o Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
o Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
o Boiler, gas and electric.
o Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
o Security systems (where applicable).
• Diagnoses and performs minor or routine maintenance or repair involving the following on a daily basis
o Water intrusion and mold remediation.
o Pool areas, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture.
• Schedules make ready assignments with staff and vendors.
• Ensures that all make-ready repairs and services are completed correctly and on schedule.
• Monitors and schedules all maintenance activities.
• Reports all major repairs and requisitions to the Property Manager prior to any expenditure of funds.
• Changes apartment locks and makes replacement keys.
• Removes and transfers heavy appliances and equipment from storage area to apartment (or vice versa) as circumstances warrant. Assists in moving abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., to dumpster when necessary.
• Maintains adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials in the maintenance shop to handle most common repairs and situations.
• Identifies all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts and prepares maps indicating same.
• Performs work area clean-up and safety related duties.
• Ensures that storage areas remain locked when not in use.
• Assists in keeping grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, shovels as circumstances warrant.
• Performs any additional duties assigned by Property Manager or Regional Director.
• Schedules and assigns all service requests.
• Must attain a minimum of 70% or greater on the Service Manager Qualification Test.
• Position requires at least 3 years experience in property maintenance or equivalent field. Property Maintenance Craftsman (PMC) license [Duval County, Florida only], EPA certification, and Certified Pool Operator (CPO) license are required. High School diploma or equivalent experience is required. Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) certification is preferred.
• Working knowledge of electrical systems, appliances, plumbing, carpentry, plastering, pool systems, drywall repair, painting, and HVAC.
• Ability to operate small hand tools and power tools.
• Ability to use voltmeters, am probes, hand saws, skill saws, Freon recovery machine, Freon gauges, drill motors, saber saws, pressure washer, golf carts, key machine, and pool filtering equipment.
• Required to wear back support belt, wear goggles when working with specific equipment, wear masks and gloves and other personal protective safety equipment as tasks dictate.
• Minimum of 40 hours per week. Weekends as circumstances warrant; on-call on a rotating basis and for emergencies.
• An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
Hand Tools Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, posthole diggers, etc.
Power Tools Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
User-Moved Aids Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, step ladders, full ladders, double ladders.
Mechanical Equipment Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
Measuring Devices Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
• Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
• Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools and needed equipment
Service requests, make-ready needs for 2nd and 3rd floor apartments
Push or Pull
Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.
Reach Above Shoulder
Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
Handle tools and equipment to perform routine maintenance/repairs
Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, required maintenance reports.
Lifting/Carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
Over 150 lbs.
Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
75 lbs. – 150 lbs.
Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
25 lbs. – 75 lbs.
Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
1 – 25 lbs.
Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is to be accomplished with assistance from one or more persons. Examples of heaviest items lifted include washer/dryers, refrigerators, A/C units, abandoned sofas, etc.
• Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instruction from staff and residents. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
• Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents. Must use listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
• Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to verbally communicate with assistants, resident staff, vendors and residents.
• Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to pick up replacement parts and supplies from vendors. Rotation "on call" status may occasionally require expedient travel to assigned property at moments notice. Pick up and deliveries to the corporate office.
• Must have valid driver's license and automobile insurance coverage.
• Indoors (66% to 100% of the time). Frequently outdoors (33% to 66% of the time), all conditions, often for extended periods.
• Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc. Example: Apartments during/after make-ready.
HIGH. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of personalities.
• Learns and complies with all company safety rules.
• Must use appropriate safety equipment at all times.
• Immediately reports all unsafe conditions to Community Manager immediately.
• Must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties.
• Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook, or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
• This job description is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the company. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers or other company officials.
• This job description does not constitute an employment contract between the company and any employee.
• The job responsibilities of this position may include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.