Maintenance Technician (Animal)
Position Information: Full Time, Hourly
Position Summary: Under general direction of the Maintenance Manager, this position is responsible for executing maintenance and construction projects for the Zoo, with a focus on animal department maintenance and construction projects.
- Acts as primary tradesman for the Animal Department.
- Daily repair / maintenance / special projects relating to cages, habitats, structures, and exhibits.
- Executes maintenance and construction projects. Performs a variety of highly skilled carpentry duties from rough to finish carpentry.
- Performs general maintenance duties Zoo-wide.
- Develops and recommends capital improvements, equipment acquisition, and other improvements.
- Determines required materials for projects.
- Ensures timely completion of projects.
- Prepares and maintains maintenance records and reports.
- Inspects and monitors facilities and equipment for maintenance, repair, and/or replacement needs.
- Maintains an inventory of tools, equipment, and supplies. Responsible for proper and safe use and maintenance of all equipment and tools. Maintains safe equipment use and ensures proper PPE use.
- In consideration for employee, guest, animal areas, ensures that areas are properly secured before commencement of a project. Minimizes project intrusion into employee, guest, and animal areas. Ensures that unavoidable intrusion will not result in unsafe conditions or injury.
- Keeps Maintenance Manager and Animal Department Management informed about project timelines, status of projects, and project requirements.
- Supports other Facility positions as needed for the successful operation/repair of Zoo related issues.
- And other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum educational requirements.
- Four years of experience in progressively responsible general maintenance operations preferred.
- A minimum of three years experience in carpentry required.
- Prefer Journeyman level of experience and education.
- Skilled in the use of tools pertinent to carpentry and general shop duties.
- Additional welding, electrical, and plumbing skills preferred, but not required.
- Motivated self-starter with strong organizational abilities.
- Must be able to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Must have effective communication skills.
- Must be able to complete projects in a reasonable time frame to the complete satisfaction of zoo management.
- Considerable knowledge of carpentry with regards to facility buildings, cages, habitats, structures and exhibits. Must have the ability to follow specific instructions and also be comfortable self-directing.
- Must be able to deal courteously and tactfully with employees, peers, superiors, and the general public.
- Ability to read blueprints, mechanical drawings, and other diagrams.
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Ability to work in a variety of animal habitats and situations.
- Must be able to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions typical to west central Florida (i.e., heat, rain, or cold).
- Ability to use radio, telephone, and computer to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be willing and able to work varied and long shifts including holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to plan for, work, and staff specials events as well as be available for unexpected shifts.
- Must be able to work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, standing, walking and driving.
- Must be comfortable being exposed to uncomfortable or distracting sounds or noise levels on sites of projects being managed or coordinated.
Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo - 21 months ago