At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for all aspects of facility maintenance, including performing routine preventative and corrective maintenance on building mechanical systems, HVAC systems, fire alarm systems and other facilities equipment. Perform repair and maintenance to building systems, structure and furniture. Assist in office and cubical relocations.
Duties and tasks reflect substantial variety and complexity. Assignments may be broad in nature and may require originality and ingenuity. Errors could cause delays to department or projects that may increase costs or timeframes.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Follow all applicable safety practices.
- Provide information on a continuous basis to Facility Manager regarding systems/equipment that needs to be replaced, repaired or updated.
- Complete facilities safety training courses.
- Comply with and support the requirements of the security program and report observed security violations to your assigned manager, security staff or Site Security Team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Related Work Experience
Formal Education or Equivalent
- Safety practices and principles related to building maintenance activities
- Project Management
- Policies, procedures, equipment, materials and supplies related to the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of facilities and infrastructure found in an office, production and warehouse environments.
- Applicable laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Standard computer applications related to routine work tasks.
- Techniques for effectively dealing with a variety of individuals from various backgrounds, in person, over the phone and email.
- Routine and emergency facility equipment maintenance requirements.
- Chemical Handling and safety precautions.
- Basic knowledge of instrumentation control and applications.
- Basic knowledge of HVAC systems components including motors, relays, switches and system controls.
- Basic knowledge of electrical, plumbing and pneumatic procedures and services.
- Paint and wall surfacing skills.
- Knowledge of Life Safety codes and Fire Alarm Systems to include lock out/tag out; Material Safety Data Sheets; Personal Protective Equipment; air and water quality issues and Interim Life Safety measures.
Skills at entry
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Eighteen (18) months to Three (3) years experience is building maintenance for medium to large size commercial or industrial buildings using commercial grade HVAC systems.
- Relevant post high school vocational or technical skills training may be substituted for part two (2) years of the experience requirement.
- Assisting in developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the department.
- Planning, assigning, scheduling and reviewing the work of assigned vendors/contractors.
- Interpreting and applying applicable codes regulations and work procedures.
- Inventorying and ordering equipment, supplies and materials.
- Using tact, initiative and sound judgment within general procedural guidelines.
- Safely using tools and operating equipment in the area of assignment.
- Communication and effective interaction with co-workers, managers, and the general public.
- Strong PC skills and specifically able to use Microsoft Office products plus the ability and aptitude to learn other departmental software.
- Superior customer service and communication skills.
- Individual must be physically capable of safely operating a vehicle, possess a valid Driver’s License and must have an acceptable driving record.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Self starter and be capable of functioning unsupervised.
- Capable of reading blue prints and schematic drawings required for the job assignment.
- Experienced in water treatment programs and use of chemicals.
- Analytical ability to diagnose problems quickly and correctly for resolution.
- Ability to work as a member or a team, often cross-functional.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with some ambiguity and stressful situations.
- Ability to implement Six Sigma and Lean techniques as they relate to the job assignment.
Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work outdoors in all weather conditions and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions, use varied hand and power tools, climb ladders, drive a motor vehicle; lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds and heavier with proper use of equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio. Must work emergency overtime as required or requested and be on-call twenty four (24) hours, seven days a week on a rotational basis. On call personnel must remain within a 1 hour drive time to their assigned facilities. Occasional travel may be required.
# of Positions:
Regular Full Time
Real Estate & Facilities
Pearson - 30+ days ago
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...