Scope of Position
This position is responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing all mechanical equipment at a solid fuel fired, steam turbine electrical generation power plant. Job tasks will range from routine maintenance to complex mechanical troubleshooting and use of precision measurement tools. In the absence of the Maintenance Manager, this position will report to the Operations Manager and in their absence to the Shift Supervisor.
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Division/Department: Operations & Maintenance
Location: Fairfax, SC
This position is required to work in all areas of the plant site, both indoors and outdoors. Share "call-in" duties with other plant personnel. Some travel required. Work in confined spaces and at heights greater than 100 ft. required. Work with high temperature, high pressure steam and water systems as well as high pressure air and fluids is required. Work with chemicals is required.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills, read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex problems, observe and interpret situations, use math and mathematical reasoning; deal with changing, intensive deadlines, and interact with internal and external clients. Must be able to concentrate while under time constraints.
The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and wet or humid conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, potential risk of electrical shock and vibration.
At the Power Plant facility and in/out door environment, must be able to work in adverse conditions that may include, but not be limited to the following:
• May be exposed to hazards associated with power and hand tools, dust, fumes, high pressure steam, high temperatures and confined spaces; and may be regularly subject to external environmental conditions such as cold, heat dust, snow or noise and fumes from equipment or chemicals.
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to climb stairs, ladders, and work on elevated platforms. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Must be willing to tolerate awkward and stretched positions while stooping, crouching, or kneeling to perform daily duties.
• Work overtime, and irregular hours as needed to support reliable operation of the facility. From time to time the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements.
• Ability to handle quick changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice if and when required.
• Must be able to lift 45 pounds overhead and 75 pounds from the floor to 36 inches.
• Must be willing to travel to other facilities if needed
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color distinction with vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Noise levels are moderately loud and may vary in various areas of the plant site.
• Must be able to work around high voltage.
• Must be able to work in Confined Spaces as listed below;
o Boiler drums are 18” x 14”, oval
o Deaerator, Storage Tank and Flash Tank are 16” x 16” round or 16” x 12”, oval
o Furnace and undergrate doors are 24” x 18”, 22” x 18” or 18” x 14”, rectangular
o Economizer bundle 16” x 16”, square
o ID Fan 25” x 25”, square
o FD Fan 20.5” x 20.5”, square
o Precip Hoppers 24” x 24”, square
o Stack 18” x 18”, square
o Bark Hopper accesses 24” x 18”, rectangular
• Must have manual dexterity and ability to manipulate keyboards.
• Must be capable of wearing respirators and working in dusty environments, such as Confined Spaces.
• Performs repair and maintenance work following blueprint sketches and procedures involving such tasks as drilling, tapping, fabricating, welding (MIG, TIG & Stick), machinery alignment and quality control.
• Identifies mechanical design, machinery improvements or problems and recommends modifications necessary for resolution.
• Maintains various mechanical equipment associated with solid fuel fired boiler, steam turbine, electrical generator, compressors, water treatment equipment, pumps, valves, and other auxiliary equipment.
• Operates a wide variety of construction equipment, power equipment, hand tools and perform rigging and staging erection.
• Performs preventive, predictive and corrective maintenance on equipment, coordinating work with various team members.
• Designs and installs new equipment and/or system modifications.
• Schedule, coordinate, work with and monitors contractors on specific tasks as required.
• Trains other team members in the areas of maintenance and repairs.
• Performs Operations tasks on an as-needed basis and other tasks as assigned.
• Be available within a reasonable response time for emergency call-ins and overtime.
• Provide an acceptable off-hour contact cell phone number or carry a company provided cell phone.
• Respond to alarms in a timely manner; operate firefighting equipment as necessary and within reason.
• Performs other comparable duties during plant shutdowns.
• Maintain professional competence in the field of power plant operations.
• Maintain a safe work environment though job planning, housekeeping and identification and correction of hazards.
• Adhere to all applicable health & safety, environmental and administrative policies, procedures and regulations.
• Attend morning, monthly and quarterly meetings.
• Attend training, implement and pursue personal development goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Valid Driver’s license.
• 12 years formal education (High School Graduate) or equivalent.
• Four years of experience as a mechanic/machinist, preferably in a biomass fired steam turbine power plant environment.
• Ability to use standard mechanical tools and measurement devices.
• Knowledge in Welding, Millwright Work, Lubrications, Hydraulics, Valves, Parts, Tools and other items related to the industry and maintenance.
• Ability to understand CMMS systems and work item tracking and reporting.
• Knowledge of safe work practices associated with a power plant environment.
• Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
• Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effectively organize and facilitate process teams.
• Ability to understand contractual issues as they relate to plant operations and maintenance.
• Travel to other plant locations and to corporate may be required.
• Knowledge in Balance of Plant systems start-up, normal operation, emergency, and shutdown of plant.
• Thorough knowledge of equipment isolation and LOTO procedures.
• Experience responding to plant abnormal situations, alarms, and emergencies.
• Thorough knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
• Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings, technical manuals and P&ID's.
EDF Renewable Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EDF Renewable Energy
- 2 years ago - save job