The purpose of this position is to provide maintenance support to the City's parks, land, greenbelts, golf course and residing facilities. This is accomplished by managing the turf and lawn, completing landscaping operations such as mowing, weed eating and edging, planting seeds, trees and other shrubbery, laying sod to ensure plant life, repairing park, field and golf course infrastructures and facilities when needed and preparing sports fields for play. Other duties may include cleaning and picking up debris, assisting with irrigation installations, repairing park playgrounds, performing pool maintenance, documenting work completed and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
- Performs landscaping duties at the City’s park and recreational facilities, golf course and green belts by mowing and edging lawns, removing debris from walking areas and lawns, trimming trees and shrubbery, operating equipment to remove weeds from lawns and fields and operating various lawn tools and equipment.
- Ensures equipment and machinery is operating safely and properly by performing preventative maintenance, identifying problems with equipment, replacing faulty or problematic parts and repairing equipment as needed.
- Maintains City facilities such as playground equipment, pools, water fountains and the interior and exterior of buildings by inspecting structures, determining if problems exist, replacing faulty or problematic parts, repairing damage as needed, stocking supplies as necessary and reporting maintenance performed.
- Assists with irrigation installations and repairs by determining problems, repairing and replacing parts, digging holes for accessibility and installation purposes, retrieving the appropriate tools and equipment and producing work orders.
- Educates citizens and other employees about field and park conditions by replying to questions and inquiries and directing citizens to the appropriate departments.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Drivers License.
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives immediate direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving detailed instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with little room for deviation. Close and constant review is given.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Normal tasks require use of definite procedures, with little deviation. Work requires little or no analysis or judgment.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 30+ days ago