The purpose of this position is to provide maintenance support to the City’s Drainage Division. This is accomplished by ensuring drainage areas are free from debris, cleaning drainage structures and channels, trimming trees and shrubbery from drainage structures and channels, performing curb construction and installation, utilizing heavy equipment to break up concrete for curb installation, pouring and shaping concrete, completing culvert installations for driveway, and collecting and transporting debris to landfill. Other duties may include performing vehicle and equipment maintenance and interacting with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
- Ensures drainage structures and channels are free from debris and shrubbery and trees by trimming trees and shrubbery, mowing drainage ditches and drainage areas as appropriate, operating heavy equipment, cleaning drainage structures and channels, and completing documentation as required.
- Performs curb construction by loading all concrete materials and supplies into truck, breaking up concrete for curb placement through the use of jackhammers, bobcat, pick ax, sledge hammer and other tools, setting forms for curb installation, pouring concrete into designated areas, shaping the concrete into proper form, sweeping concrete area and completing appropriate documentation as required.
- Completes culvert installations for driveways by digging necessary trenches with backhoe, loading dirt into collection truck, gathering all needed tools and supplies needed, placing appropriate drainage piping into trench, utilizing backhoe to fill in trench area, and completing necessary documentation for work completed.
- Assists with trash and debris disposal by collecting facility debris, utilizing the front-end loader or backhoe to load piles of debris into collection truck, transporting debris to landfill through operation of vehicle, coordinating with employees at landfill for disposal, completing documentation as necessary.
- Maintains safe operation of assigned vehicle and equipment by performing preventative maintenance, determining if problems exist with equipment and vehicle, replacing faulty or problematic equipment and vehicle parts exist, completing small repairs to equipment, and documenting procedure and actions taken as required.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Drivers License
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives immediate direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving detailed instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with little room for deviation. Close and constant review is given.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Normal tasks require use of definite procedures, with little deviation. Work requires little or no analysis or judgment.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.