The purpose of this position is to provide maintenance support to the City's Streets Department. This is accomplished by operating heavy equipment, patrolling City streets, identifying problematic roadways, determining best way to repair roadway and sidewalk damage, retrieving appropriate equipment and tools, filling potholes with appropriate mix, sealing cracks in streets, and repairing sidewalks. Other duties may include providing maintenance support by retrieving all debris from City's streets, assisting other departments as needed, completing special projects as requested, and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Completes street maintenance by operating various heavy equipment, observing problematic cracks in streets, determining best way to complete repair, preparing crack seal machine, inserting tar into machine, heating hoses, blowing cracks with air to remove debris, rocks and dirt, utilizing crack seal machine to fill cracks with tar, and documenting all work completed.
- Repairs potholes and other damage to City's streets by operating motor vehicle, observing City's roadways, identifying problematic roadway hazards, retrieving appropriate equipment and tools from truck, using a saw to cut around pothole in street, operating steel roller to roll base, tacking outer edges, filling pothole with concrete or asphalt mix to patch street damage, utilizing loader machinery to back drag, raking area to obtain smooth edges, maneuvering steel roller over area to compact mix, and documenting work completed.
- Maintains City's sidewalks by identifying problematic sidewalk areas, breaking sidewalk area, setting forms for new sidewalk, filling with concrete mix, ensuring shape of sidewalk, installing rebar such as dowel bars, operating various equipment and documenting all work completed.
- Maintains City's streets by patrolling streets and related area for litter and debris, collecting debris from streets, greenbelts, right of ways, underpasses and overpasses within City's limits, storing debris in vehicle, operating equipment to clear streets from debris, transporting debris to collection facilities, maintaining log of materials collected, and documenting actions and procedures as required.
- Assists other departments as needed by providing maintenance support to Parks and Recreation, Drainage and Water and Sewer, completing irrigation repair as necessary and signs, buttons and markings activities, working on special projects as assigned, and documenting all work completed.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver's License .
Must be able to work a 10 hour shift Monday through Thursday
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives immediate direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving detailed instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with little room for deviation. Close and constant review is given.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Normal tasks require use of definite procedures, with little deviation. Work requires little or no analysis or judgment.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -