Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This position is located at the Miami Animal Import Center, Miami, Florida. This is a USDA owned and operated Livestock Quarantine facility which facilitates the importation of livestock, poultry and exotic birds into the United States through the Port of Miami. The Center is one of two facilities in the Eastern U.S. for examining, testing and isolating imported animals to assure they are free of disease and parasites harmful to American livestock and poultry.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
- U.S. Citizenship
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- The ability to speack Spanish is desired, but not required.
- Has primary responsibility for repair of polyurea floor and wall coverings using manufacturer-approved products and techniques.
- Inspects stalls, corridors, and other areas on a regular schedule to identify those in need of repair, and keeps accurate records of all repairs.
- Performs tasks associated with grounds and building maintenance in such areas as landscape maintenance, carpentry, painting, plumbing, unclogging water lines and drains, changing light bulbs, and other assorted duties as required.
- Assists in the repair of animal stalls, cages, pens, crates, mechanized equipment,and incinerator.
- Operates hand and power tools, to include pressure washers, lawn equipment, saws, drills, grinders, sanders, screwdrivers, hammers, planes, levels, trowels, and shears in order to cut holes, bend pipe, fasten parts, smooth fresh cement, etc...
- Keeps tools clean and lubricates machines as necessary.
- Operates mechanized equipment such as bobcat, forklifts, scissors lift, and incinerator after receiving training and certifications from local or state agencies to do so when required.
- When directed, the incumbent will also provide assistance in animal caretaking, to include the feeding, care, unloading and release, restraint, and general bio-security and husbandry for a variety of animal species.
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Applicants must show in their RESUME that they have had training and experience of sufficient scope and quality to provide them with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Applicants will be rated in accordance with their knowledge and skills in the VACANCY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
- We understand that accepting a position with Veterinary Services may require the need for spousal career placement assistance. To help you and your family make a successful career transition, Veterinary Services is dedicated to providing information on career placement assistance. Please visit the following web links for more information:
- This position is subject to unscheduled overnight details of undetermined lengths in the event of animal health emergencies or other conditions requiring immediate response, as required by the Agency. (Extensive periods of time may be designated for overnight details.)
- Work outside normal business hours will be necessary.
- Incumbent is required to stand, stoop, squat, sit, stretch, kneel, bend over, climb ladders and assume tiring and uncomfortable positions. Lifts and carries equipment and materials varying from 20-100 lbs.
- The work is performed in a hight security quarantine animal facility. Frequent showers are required.
- Work is performed inside and outdoors, exposing the incumbent to extreme weather conditions and shifts of temperature, humidity, excessive noise, and slippery and uneven surfaces. There is a possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, and scratches, and working in the presence of animals may occasionally present a danger to injury or health hazard.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Ability to do the work of a maintenance mechanic electrician, A/C equipment mechanic, maintenance mechanic helper, maintenance worker, or maintenance supervisor without more than normal supervision.
- Knowledge of equipment assembly, installation, repair, etc.
- Technical practices (theoretical, precise, artistic).
- Use of measuring instruments.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading).
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials.
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To preview questions please click here .
Eligibility for employee benefits depends on your type of appointment and your tour of duty (work schedule). Generally, you must be hired on a permanent basis and have a regular full or part-time work schedule. For more information on potential benefits, go to: Federal Employee Benefits
For information regarding CTAP eligibility for displaced Federal employees click: Career Transition Assistance Programs
More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
For information on filing a complaint of discrimination, click: Filing a Complaint
usajobs.gov - 20 months ago
We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound public...