You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the US Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us?
Click here to watch short podcasts called Meet Your New Boss ! and Diversity is our Strength
RELOCATION EXPENSES: Relocation expenses are not authorized.
This position serves at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge, within the Texas Chenier Plain National Wildlife Refuge Complex. The chorus of thousands of waterfowl, the splash of an alligator going for a swim, the rustle of wind moving through coastal prairie, and the high-pitched call of a fulvous whistling duck are just some of the sounds you may hear at Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. This 34,000 acre haven for wildlife is located on the upper Texas gulf coast in Anahuac, Texas.
All application materials and supporting documentation must be received by the closing date of this announcement (including Veterans Preference documentation). KEY REQUIREMENTS
U.S. Citizenship Required
One-year probation period DUTIES:
weeds with chemicals, blowing off refuge trails and periodic pressure washing of buildings, trails and concrete boardwalks.
- Maintains station grounds by mowing lawns with push or riding mower, trimming shrubs, weed eating, spraying
(such as hinges, catches), interior trim. i.e., sheetrock, baseboards, tile, linoleum. etc., by holding bracing
- Responsible for keeping the maintenance shop clean by sweeping, mopping, picking up trash, etc.
- Aids in the installation, repair and alteration of: wood fence boards, broken lights and outlets, doors, hardware
materials, handling tools, materials or fittings.
- Responsible for picking up trash along designated routes of travel on the refuge.
- Orders and restocks all cleaning items on the refuge to include:
By the closing date of this announcement, you must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Handbook X118C, Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupation.
Although no specific amount of experience, education or training is required, applicants must meet a minimum level of ability in relation to the position and the Assessment Questionnaire in order to be rated qualified for consideration. To be qualified candidates must meet any screen out element(s) listed at an acceptable level, and must achieve an average rating of at least acceptable on all of the elements. Only education, training, or experience acquired before the closing date will be considered.
To preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click the following link:
View Occupational Questionnaire
A background investigation is required for this position.
Must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license prior to operating Government-owned vehicles.
Physical Examination is required.
Shift work may be required.
Emergency overtime may be required.
The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
and other uncomfortable positions. There is much tiring movement of arms. Lifting and carrying of tools and
- Standing, walking, stooping, bending, kneeling and climbing are involved. Work is occasionally done in cramped
equipment are involved. Items weighing ten pounds are lifted frequently and objects weighing fifty pounds are
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Ability to do the work the position without more than normal supervision. (Screen out)
2. Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment to include the use of measuring instruments.
3. Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
4. Knowledge of materials and technical practices (theoretical, precise, artistic).
NOTE: You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verifications. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and capability. If a determination is made that you rated yourself higher than is supported by your application, or your application is incomplete, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience or you may be considered ineligible. BENEFITS:
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/benefits.asp OTHER INFORMATION:
1. If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see
2. If you have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position . To be well-qualified for the position and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605(a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. For more information on CTAP/ICTAP see
3. Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov ).
usajobs.gov - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -