Union Rescue Mission (URM) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit faith-based organization dedicated to serving those experiencing homelessness. Established in 1891, URM is one of the largest rescue missions of its kind in the United States and the oldest in Los Angeles. We provide a comprehensive array of emergency and long-term services to our guests, including: food, shelter, clothing, medical and dental care, recovery programs, transitional housing, legal assistance, education, counseling, and job training to needy men, women, children, and families. The person in this position must enjoy working in a ministry related environment. We are a non-profit faith-based Christian organization that has been in existence for over 120 years located in downtown Los Angeles. For more information please visit our web site at www.URM.org .
All candidates must successfully pass a background check. This is a full-time benefit eligible position.
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President of Operations, the maintenance worker assists in performing routine maintenance and facility repairs at the downtown location. This position primarily assists the Maintenance team with the safe, effective and cost efficient maintenance of both the facility and building equipment.
o Preventative maintenance
- Responsible for maintenance and repairs in the following areas/equipment:
o Mechanical appliances and equipment
o Building maintenance and repairs: i.e. desks, locks, doors etc.
o HVAC repairs
o Electrical (minor)
o Cooling Tower repair
o Kitchen equipment
- Respond to work orders as they are submitted.
- Perform all maintenance and repairs as they arise.
- Perform preventative maintenance as scheduled.
- Ensures physical maintenance and safety of the facility.
- Interacts with and oversees work of contractors/vendors, who assist in the operation and maintenance of the facility. Ensures that all work is done in a satisfactory manner and in accordance with service contract agreements.
- Act as a first responder to fire alarms response and emergencies.
- Assist with maintaining department records and information as required by city and state regulations.
- May drive company vehicle to perform company business.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings.
- Must have a high school diploma. Vocational or college course are a plus.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years prior maintenance experience either in residential apartment buildings and/or commercial buildings.
- Trade certification, college/vocational courses or training in related fields such as plumbing, electrical or general contracting preferred.
- Must have a valid drivers license, a clean DMV record and the ability to be added to the company auto policy.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently (fluency in Spanish, both verbal and written, is a plus).
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and have the ability to navigate our work order system.
- Must have excellent organization skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must have excellent time and project management skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must be able to troubleshoot.
- Must be the ability to multi-task in a high volume environment.
- Must be able to operate power tools, climb ladders, and work with hazardous chemicals.
· This position works predominantly indoors however, not exclusively. Will be required to work anywhere in the building (i.e. kitchen, warehouse, basement, roof, dock, crawl spaces, dorm rooms, restrooms etc.)
· Work environment can vary greatly from project to project (cramped wall or crawl spaces, high traffic settings involving people, equipment or machinery).
· Due to nature of the position, not all work areas are clean, orderly or properly lighted. Most areas will be ventilated.
· Noise levels can vary from low to high.
· Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
· Requires regular standing, walking, sitting, crouching, stooping, speaking, hearing and seeing. Must be able to stand, squat or sit in one place for long periods of time.
· Requires manual dexterity for regular repetitive finger motion and frequently reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting of objects and operating equipment (including power/hand tools).
· May be exposed to extreme temperatures both hot and cold (ovens, coolers, chillers, variable weather).
Union Rescue Mission - 5 months ago
Union Rescue Mission (URM) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the poor and homeless. Established in 1891, URM is one...