The Building Maintenance worker is part of the Highlander Union Facilities team responsible for maintenance, painting, cleanliness and set-up of the Highlander Union Facilities, including lounges, conference rooms, offices, restrooms and public areas and set-up and operation of audio visual equipment. When required the position provides support/coverage for meetings and special events, assisting custodial and grounds workers.
1. Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the general public
2. Ability to speak, read and write English and to follow written instructions
3. Knowledge of the proper use, basic repair and care of maintenance and custodial equipment and supplies
4. Ability to properly utilize bench and hand-held power tools as well as basic hand tools.
5. Ability to lift and carry heavy loads ( >50 lbs)
6. Demonstrated ability to perform a full range of motion and physical requirements of maintenance, custodial and set-up work.
7. Knowledge of safety procedures involved with the use of maintenance and custodial tools, equipment and chemicals
8. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
9. Ability to independently identify and address maintenance/repair issues regarding the buildings and grounds
10. Demonstrated ability to work at skilled or semi-skilled level in the following trades: Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC/Mechanical.
11. Ability to perform wall repairs and to maintain painted surfaces to high quality standards utilizing primarily brushes and rollers.
12. Good customer and employee interaction skills
13. Ability to perform basic calculations
14. Ability to work outside, in hot summer temperatures and relatively confined spaces
15. Ability to understand building electrical and mechanical plans
16. General computer competency
17. Flexibility to adjust work schedule to meet event requirements
1. Two years of recent experience in a high traffic maintenance operation
2. Skill to write legibly, to record information accurately and to clearly communicate technical information
3. Previous exposure/familiarity with automated building controls
4. Computer literacy, including word processing skills and comfort with using e-mail
5. Previous experience with the proper use, handling and storage of chemicals
6. Previous experience with set-up and operation of audio/visual equipment/systems
7. Demonstrated history of reliability with regard to attendance
The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system in the...