The Major Gift Officer will identify, engage, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and prospective donors, in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. He/she will be responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross.
1) Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefit of the American Red Cross.
2) Manages a portfolio of donors and prospects.
3) Responsible for annual fundraising goal ($200,000 for the current fiscal year) as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue.
4) Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at the $1,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross.
5) Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising, organizational fundraising or both as outlined below:
a) Individuals: Cultivates relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, [if appropriate] using giving societies such as the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program.
b) Organizations: Cultivates, solicits and stewards support from corporations and foundations to meet annual fundraising goals within their Regions. This includes assisting corporations in achieving their goals in strengthening their brand, marketing, and employee engagement by being proficient at clearly articulating Red Cross programs, listening to corporations’ needs and aligning programs to their interests, researching of foundations’ interests, preparing grant proposals, and engaging foundation staff and foundation board members to cultivate and solicit support for the American Red Cross.
6) Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying suspects and moving them to prospect status using tools such as small cultivation events, research, and community networking, with a goal of 30% of the portfolio having been identified by the MGO.
7) Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio, including preparation of personalized materials when needed.
8) Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region’s assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects.
9) Works with chapter Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward appropriate donors.
10) May oversee and have responsibility for staff development of Major Gifts Assoiate(s).
11) Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
12) Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
13) Updates donor records in region and/or chapter database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts.
14) Assists in other financial development projects as assigned.
15) It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
16) Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
PRINCIPAL RELATIONSHIPS :
Regular and significant contact with the Regional development team, Regional Chapter Executive, Divisional Fundraising Vice President, and the National Office of the American Red Cross. Regular and significant contact with department heads whose support and cooperation is needed for program success.
SCOPE: Job level is determined by portfolio size and amount of job complexity.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of major gifts leadership experience. Significant expertise with the area’s funding community highly desirable. Progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development.
Related Skills: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems. A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
This position requires travel within the region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
American Red Cross - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. The common...