The Major Project Director provides strategic leadership and comprehensive management of the University’s largest and most complex capital projects during these project’s design, construction and close-out phases. Reporting to the Director of Project Management and Construction for Facilities, the Major Project Director is the single point of responsibility and has full accountability for adherence to established scope, schedule and budgetary parameters for these projects. The Major Project Director is the project’s leader in establishing the strategy for utilizing external resources to complete the project’s design, procurement, and construction phases. The critical objective of the Major Project Director is to delivery projects on-time and within budget according to approved plans and specifications. |
1. Develops, supervises and oversees the execution and implementation of detailed project plans in concert with stakeholders.
2. Manages several major projects simultaneously and ensures that the design, testing, training, documentation and prioritization objectives are met.
3. Refines and re‐sequences during the implementation and execution phases of multiple projects, as needed.
4. Works closely with senior professionals and project stakeholders during the requirements, solutions design and implementation phases to develop detailed project plans for implementation.
5. Supervises risk assessment, communication planning, development of performance metrics and project entry criteria. Creates detailed project plans including timelines, budgets, and resource allocation to ensure successful project completion.
6. Manages stakeholder expectations through all phases of the project and ensures stakeholders, senior management and staff are working towards successful completion. Manages client expectations and provides issue/risk identification and escalation pathways.
7. Leads the implementation team of cross‐functional project and technical resources.
8. Designs, develops, and executes communication systems to ensure effective exchange of information between project stakeholders, senior management, and staff.
9. Resolves complex project issues that involve representatives from multiple organizations.
10. Complies with and enforces standard policies and procedures.
11. Directs a staff of exempt employees.
12. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and ten years of related work experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Advanced knowledge and experience in construction technology, processes, and contracting firms with at least 10 years of direct employment with construction management (CM) or general contracting (GC) firms at an executive level position.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to process multiple assignments, set priorities, and to lead project teams to meet objectives. Adept at working in a cross-functional environment in a highly collaborative manner.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and construction scheduling software. Must possess strong business acumen, the ability to drive results through others, strong analytical and negotiation skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to make effective presentations to influence change and acceptance with key stakeholders. Solid technical knowledge for data collection, analysis, interpretation for executive decision making (including ROI) and feasibility studies.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven ability to drive programmatic change initiatives and build solid relationships at all levels including senior executive relationships.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
12- 15 years of experience in construction.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...