This is a part-time, internship position. The incumbent will work an average of 15-20 hours per week. There is currently one vacancy. Work schedule is to be determined.
Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Agency – Santiago Park Nature Reserve
The Nature Reserve at Santiago Park lies within 23 acres along the Santiago Creek and features a 2,600 square foot Nature Center, open-air amphitheater, wildlife and watershed viewing and interpretive areas, an artificial vernal pool, and 2 miles of interpretive trails. The creek is Orange County’s largest watershed and is a major tributary of the Santa Ana River. It pr ovides an opportunity to view a wide range of native plant communities and local wildlife, including approximately 125 bird species, nine reptile and amphibian species, and more than a dozen mammals, including coyotes, raccoons, and skunks.
Essential Functions Include But Are Not Limited To:
Characteristics of Successful Performers
- Conduct a species status update of plant and animal life in the nature reserve, including a database that distinguishes native from non-native plants, photos of plants and animals, and a description of their habitat.
- Conduct research on the history of the area, including the native people and their customs and the development of the park.
- Design and develop educational materials, including brochures, guidebooks, trail maps and other interpretive materials to be used in interpretive tours, educational programs and exhibits at the Nature Center using the information compiled on plants, animals, and history.
- Design and construct stationary and mobile exhibits of plant and animal life, habitats, history, and other features of the Nature Reserve.
- Develop scripts for audio tours of the Nature Reserve that describe the plant and animal life and the history of the area.
Successful performers must be self-starters, able to adapt and make decisions about relevant data to be documented and issues to be researched. Candidates must be able to use a computer and have good written and oral communication skills. The ability to carry projects and responsibilities to completion, while operating independently is important. Multiple tasks are common; therefore, the candidate must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Current enrollment in a Master’s Degree program in Environmental Studies or related field.
- Strong computer knowledge and skills of various software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Access
- Experience in using computer software to develop research databases, charts, and graphs; program guidebooks; educational materials; etc.
APPLICATION PACKET INCLUDES:
- A pplication form which must be submitted online. All jobs must be listed. A resume will not substitute the application form.
- Resume detailing qualifications as they relate to this position, as well as, academic and/or other honors and activities, including estimated graduation date (references may be requested at a later time if they were not provided on application).
- Proof of
all 2012 semester/quarter Master's Program Enrollment (may include class schedule showing your name, type of classes, and the semester/quarter name or unofficial transcripts). To apply, click on the "Apply" link located at the top of this page. New users must create an account first. Click on this link for instructions on how to set up your account and apply for the first time: Online Employment Application Guide .
The Personnel Services and Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Departments will review all applications and those candidates who possess the most pertinent qualifications will be invited for an oral interview by the hiring agency. For questions about the job duties, please call Jenny Rios, at (714) 571-4228 . For questions about the application packet, please call Maribel Carmona, at 714-647-5353.
Prior to appointment, a background records check and medical exam will be conducted.
The City of Santa Ana is an equal opportunity employer. If you consider yourself a person with a disability, you may contact us regarding providing reasonable accommodation.
City of Santa Ana - 20 months ago