This position is primarily intended as a relocatable benchstrength development role for the Director of Operations (DOO) position. It is designed to put a select group of individuals with relevant experience and skills on a targeted, accelerated career path to prepare them for a future DOO opening. The candidates for this position could be selected from both internal and external sources.
The Branch Operations Manager will work under the day-to-day supervision from a local DOO with oversight from a region Vice President of Operations. A tailored, individual development plan will be put in place for the incumbent(s) to accelerate their readiness for a future DOO opening. Assignments would include exposure and development of their technical knowledge in the areas of Quality, Maintenance, Sales, Account Management, Rental, Asset Management, and Customer Retention. Assignments would include working with identified functional and operational “experts” in various locations throughout the region to develop the relevant technical knowledge and skills.
Ultimately, the incumbent will be assigned a group of FMS branch locations to manage. These branches would be a subset of the branches assigned to a specific Business Unit (BU) and the incumbent(s) will work under the direct supervision of the BU DOO. This assignment will include assuming operational responsibility for the assigned branches, including direct profit and loss accountability for the branches; management of the assigned personnel; maintenance management, managing customer relationships and key customer metrics; management of key quality and compliance metrics; and management of key asset related metrics.
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis on business or transportation or equivalent work experience is required.
- 5+ years of demonstrated successful management, including previous success in a position with significant profit and loss responsibility.
- MBA in Operations Management or other business-related discipline is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in establishing cost-efficient customer service / customer relations.
- Six Sigma/Kaizen experience is preferred.
- Ability to learn unfamiliar technical information quickly.
- Experience with maintenance related or similar technical related services is preferred.
- Proven communication skills.
- Willingness to relocate within the region to assume a DOO position following the successful conclusion of the Branch Operations Manager assignment.
1. Labor Management
2. Financial & Administrative Management
- Effectively managing total labor hours applied in maintenance and related service activities for all domiciled vehicles, including effective management of in-sourced vs. outsourced labor.
- Utilizing sound business/process disciplines and adhering to Company defined Standard Operating Procedures and other initiatives to maximize labor productivity and efficiency while meeting or exceeding all customer quality-related requirements.
- Effectively managing both union and non-union locations to create and maintain a talented, motivated, industry leading technical workforce.
- Maintaining safe, environmentally compliant work practices, conditions and facilities, and driving a high priority safety culture through all levels of the work force.
- Developing, coaching and managing the performance of direct reports across multiple locations.
3. Customer Management
- Full P&L responsibility for business/operations of assigned branches.
- Managing maintenance costs and budgets, and holding all branch locations responsible for meeting maintenance cost budgets and overall profit responsibilities.
- Utilizing productivity and effective labor management disciplines to optimize overall net maintenance costs (running costs + unallocated maintenance).
- Maximizing revenue and margin or all product lines as well as at the Operating Profit level.
- Aggressively managing and optimizing business unit overheads.
- Effectively managing parts and tires inventory.
- Ensuring receivable collections and minimizing DRO along with Region Finance Director and other BU personnel as appropriate.
- Coordination & oversight of all administrative processes for assigned branches.
4. Fleet and Facility Asset Management
- Managing operations-related initiatives to ensure the highest levels of service and retention of customers.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key BU customers, and actively engaging with Sales organization on customer-related initiatives.
5. Quality and Compliance Management
- Overseeing operations-related asset management activities and metrics (e.g, inservice cycle times, outservice cycle times, out of service and sub %, etc.).
- Working with Asset Management organization to effectively manage life cycle of vehicle assets and optimize overall earnings and ROA for the Company.
- Working with the Corporate Real Estate organization to optimize facility asset management, infrastructure and related costs, including consulting and negotiating with vendors, landlords, real estate agencies and city zoning agencies, etc.
- Meeting or exceeding all elements of the Company’s quality-related scorecards
- Ensuring that all locations are operating in compliance with established Company Standard Operating Procedures and executing all corporate initiatives.
- Ensuring that all locations are meeting or exceeding process and facility standards as developed by the Quality Assurance/Maintenance Standards organization.
- Ensuring that all parts and related purchases are conducted through approved Company procurement programs.
- Ensuring that all breakdowns and service calls are handled in accordance with Company policy and BU meets or exceeds established metrics.
- Meeting or exceeding all safety-related metrics
- In addition, the successful BOM will be called upon to effectively collaborate with his/her peers across the organization to achieve overall business objectives. Such collaborative relationships include: (DOS) and/or Manager of Sales (MOS) Director of Rental (DOR) and/or Manager of Rental (MOR), Director of Quality Assurance (DQA) and/or Manager of Quality Assurance (MQA), and HR and other region staff positions.
Ryder System, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 500 provider of leading-edge transportation, logistics and supply chain management solutions. Ryder's...