- Manager, Event & Health Communications
- Managing Director, Communications
- Director of Communications & Executive Writer
- Director, Web and New Media Communications
Position Title: Manager, Communications
Reports to: Director, I&E Communications
and the Director, Food & Ag Communications
This position is primarily responsible for assisting with developing and implementing the strategic communications and media outreach responsibilities to support BIO’s Industrial & Environmental (I&E) and Food & Agriculture (F&A) sections.
Under the supervision of the Director, I&E Communications and Director, Food & Ag Communications, this position will help develop and implement strategic messaging and communications programs that support the policy goals of BIO’s Industrial & Environmental and Food & Ag Sections and help produce positive visibility of biotechnology’s applications in the industrial & environmental, and food & ag industries.
The manager will assist with directing media inquiries to appropriate spokespeople, and conducting general media outreach; assist with development of content for web, newsletters and communications materials, including talking points and backgrounders; help coordinate events and meetings; assist with member relations and internal communications.
1. Assist Director of I&E Communications in developing and implementing communications plans for section and around key BIO I&E issues and conferences.
2. Assist Director of Food & Ag Communications in developing and implementing communications plans around key BIO Food & Ag issues and conferences.
3. Help develop collateral materials including news releases, statements, newsletter articles, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, talking points, industry data and other communication tools as required.
4. Coordinate the development and updating of web-based content for the I&E, Food & Ag and conferences areas of bio.org and BIOtechNow; work with web team to highlight specific articles and blogs as determined by weekly editorial meetings.
5. Work with Communications Directors to maintain and update media lists; track and measure media coverage.
6. Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts.
7. Assist with member communication, coordination of meetings, conference calls and events and serve as alternative point of contact for member inquiries as needed to support BIO’s Food & Ag Communications Advisory Group (CAG), Industrial & Environmental CAG and other relevant member committees.
8. Participate in periodic meetings with Board and policy committees, provide input to meeting materials and give reports at member meetings when necessary.
9. Maintain and update contact lists for stakeholder ally groups and help disseminate issue-specific information to contacts lists when appropriate.
10. Participate in regular communications department staff meetings, F&A and I&E Section staff meetings and BIO “all staff” meetings.
11. Assist in managing related public relations firms and other consultants.
12. Assist with planning and preparation around BIO’s International Convention and I&E and Food & Ag conferences and events. Liaise with I&E and Food & Ag Sections to coordinate marketing of conferences.
• Strong general media relations and strategic communications skills.
• Must possess excellent research, writing and editing skills.
• Must be highly driven and results oriented.
• Must be able to work within a team environment.
• 5-7 years PR or media relations experience
• Bachelor of Arts, advanced degree preferable
• Understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy processes a plus
• Understanding of advocacy for small businesses developing commercial technology
• Background in science, agriculture, environmental, and/or energy policy preferable