The Manager of Community Relations is responsible for the development of comprehensive program design to engage the community and key stakeholder groups with the Martin Luther King, Jr. Hospital. Specific responsibilities include community engagement, media relations, public affairs, customer service and branding. The Manager of Community Relations reports to the Director, Community Affairs and Marketing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent MLK Community Hospital at community events with key stakeholders.
- Provide effective interface with media and maintaining relations.
- Write media materials, internal and external communications pieces including copy for brochures, advertising, speeches, and other materials as directed.
- Develop collateral material and web based communications tools for the hospital and MLK Community Health Foundation.
- Serve as the organizations liaison for government outreach and advocacy.
- Maintain relationships with community agencies, county agencies, local and state elected officials, referring clinics and physicians.
- Manage community programs and materials to promote the services of MLK Community Hospital.
- Ensure MLK Community Hospital brand standards are consistently maintained.
- Develop and coordinate internal and external hospital events.
- Manage direct mail, telecom and database marketing strategies to promote the hospital and its services.
A Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Progressive leadership experience with minimum of eight years in a similar position. Spanish language fluency is required. Experience in health care preferably in a safety net hospital and an understanding of the South Los Angeles community is preferred.
C. Special Skills/Knowledge
Excellence verbal and written communication skills and evidence of collaborative work experience is required. Competency in communication strategies and tactics. Word processing, database management, web site management and social media fluency is required. An understanding of physician issued, physician and community marketing is desired.
The new Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital (MLKCH), opening in Spring 2015, is a private non-profit, 131 bed safety-net hospital.