Reporting to the Director of Information Technology for Administrative Services, the Computer Support Manager will be responsible for the operational oversight of the desktop support personnel and helpdesk function in support of greater than 450 clients who utilized Windows and Mac workstations as well as various mobile devices including smartphones and I-pads. Primarily, this position will manage assigned staff and student personnel to ensure timely and accurate resolution of requests, diagnosis of issues requiring escalation to System Administration team; develop and implement training program for users; effective use of ticketing system; coordinate and manage team schedules to ensure coverage of helpdesk duties; maintain departmental computer hardware and software inventory; automated imaging procedures, package and patch management; development of appropriate metrics to measure helpdesk effectiveness and productivity, as well as metrics for all other facets of desktop support. In addition, this position will maintain user provisioning in the VPAS Active Directory; work with the SysAdmin team in managing departmental printing, file and application servers; maintain internal and end-user documentation; and research new technologies and software for desktop systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or equivalent professional experience in a related field.
- Significant experience with helpdesk operations, ticketing systems and inventory management.
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities.
- Supervisory experience or experience serving in a lead role directing the work of others.
- Experience writing system documentation for support staff as well as end users.
- Detailed and comprehensive knowledge of computer hardware and software, especially Active Directory.
- Ability to communicate technical issues easily to a wide audience with varying levels of IT knowledge demonstrating a strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive data or activities.
- Experience implementing automated software installation systems.
- Experience with implementing helpdesk or ticketing system.
- Substantial Mac experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Systems Center.
- Experience with Mac support in an Active Directory environment.
Must have a criminal background check, Other (Describe Below)
Must have a conviction check:
As necessary, may work some evenings or weekends to meet department needs.
How to Apply for this Job:
Applicants must complete the online application at www.jobs.vt.edu Posting #
xxxxxx and submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references as attachments to that application. For full consideration, candidates are encouraged to apply by the review date of February 14, 2013.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience
Info Tech for Admin Services
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.
Virginia Tech - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard