Job Description: Manage the overall accounting practice at The New York Times Company.
1. Manage the Corporate general ledger, including accounting for all corporate department actuals, forecast and budget results.
2. Manage capital stock accounting, including stock based compensation under ASC 718.
3. Manage and coordinate the Company Allocation Process.
4. Work with External Financial Reporting to ensure that the accounting for current and new accounting pronouncements are reflected and disclosed properly in the Company’s Form 10-Q and 10-K. Coordinate the conclusions of such accounting issues with our external auditors.
5. Be liaison to all operating business unit financial teams on all accounting related matters. Develop a working relationship and provide any necessary training.
6. Enhance, prepare and maintain the Company’s accounting policies and procedures, ensuring that they are in compliance with GAAP. Communicate to operating business units any updates and enhancements to the accounting policies and procedures.
7. Plan, direct and coordinate research of technical accounting issues. Monitor the activities of standard setting bodies (FASB, SEC, EITF). Document accounting conclusions for signoff by senior management and external auditors.
8. Ensure the Corporate Accounting internal control framework is in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley 404 requirement.
9. If necessary, in periods of high external reporting activities, assist the External Reporting Team.
10. Assist in the completion of special projects, such as acquisitions and dispositions as needed.
Customers and Contacts:
1. Executive Committee
2. Chief Financial Officer
3. Controllers and Financial Directors/Mgrs of Op Groups
4. Corporate Departments and Groups
5. External Auditors
6. Board of Directors
7. Securities and Exchange Commission
Supervision: Senior Accountant, Corporate Accounting.
Statement About Other Duties:
- Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Accounting required
- 5+ years of public accounting or public /private experience and CPA required
- Strong SEC/GAAP experience. A high level of expertise and knowledge of accounting theory, current accounting standards, financial statement preparation and SEC reporting requirements is essential.
- Strong supervisory skills
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be flexible, work in a team environment and work under tight time constraints
- Computer literate with experience using Microsoft Windows, MS Excel and Word
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, special projects, technological developments, etc.
Company Information: The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
EEO Statement: The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 21 months ago