The Consumer Insights team continues to align our efforts with respect to consumer market research innovation on enterprise strategic objectives. We have an exciting opportunity for a Manager, Consumer Insights to help us focus on opportunities and trends in the retail and outdoor markets. This position will report to the Senior Manager, Consumer Insights, manage a team of two Sr. Research Analysts, and will shoulder a large area of responsibility around development and delivery of research recommendations and efforts tied to the critical areas of the business. This is a high visibility role within our organization tasked with understanding key stakeholder deliverables and making actionable recommendations. Not simply a research role - this is one that demands actionability from research learnings that have relevant, business applications. The ideal candidate will have a keen understanding and passion for solving research AND business challenges. The ideal candidate should enjoy working in a collaborative environment, creating and managing new and evolving research methodologies, collaborating with and presenting to our key leaders, and working collaboratively with their direct reports to drive actionable insights and recommendations.
• As a Manager, Consumer Insights, work collaboratively with cross-divisional leaders to determine/identify key business needs and knowledge gaps
• Oversee and lead development of cost-effective, strategic and tactical research plans. This will include concept testing and analysis, offer positioning, consumer immersion/forward-looking insights, volumetric forecasting and analysis, as well as serving as an integral partner with several constituents. Ensuring consistent, timely, and effective communication of results will be critical
• Lead channel research efforts by working collaboratively with other members of the Customer Insights team alongside the REI Retail and eComm organization to determine specific research needs impacting the customer experience. This would include research needs addressing the voice of the consumer at retail and online, store deployment; segmentation based targeting tools to assist in the retail sales process, etc.
• Work collaboratively with Customer Insights managers to insure that key consumer learnings and insights around the existing REI customer base are fully optimized and maximized in order to drive continued loyalty. This would include ownership of several awareness and satisfaction trackers.
• Direct the efforts of external strategic partner agencies (advertising agencies, marketing communications agencies, and research vendor agencies) to optimize the research and analytical capacity of the company as a whole.
• As a proactive and visible consultant in the organization, must be able to build credible, engaging and impactful cases/stories that communicate insights culled from multiple sources, including specific research charters, aggregate research learnings, competitive insights, integrated data sets and secondary sources - all with the focus to anticipate, inform, and inspire better business and marketing decision making.
• Ability to incorporate primary/customer research with secondary and syndicated sources.
• Collaborate as a committed business partner within the Customer Insights team, Marketing and the broader client community within REI.
• Consumer insights/Market Research experience supporting both new and existing businesses. Understanding of loyalty marketing is a major plus.
• Track record of success in providing analysis, strategic direction, and specific business recommendations on critical decisions to senior management.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to build credible and compelling “cases for direction or decision” based on a commitment to the “consumer voice” and “connecting the dots” analysis.
• Ability to effectively time and cost-contain a complex research program and budget, using a combination of effective vendor management skills, negotiation, and creativity in research design.
• Strong agency/vendor management experience.
• Significant experience in both qualitative and quantitative research
• Significant project planning and management.
• Ideal candidate will be highly intelligent, quick, team-oriented, affable and well-rounded. This person should quickly be viewed by peers as reasoned, apolitical, constructive, value-add, indispensable, and driven by common corporate goals.
• The candidate will demonstrate leadership, high personal standards and professional ethics. This individual must be a team-player and have strong management skills.
• The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and ability to use relationship networks to strategically accomplish objectives.
• Candidate would have had a great grasp of secondary and syndicated research, and how the two can and should marry with primary research in order to drive action-oriented solutions.
• 7+ years of increasing responsibility in consumer research and/or Brand Management.
• Strong understanding of various research methodologies and approaches
• Bachelor’s degree, preferred. Advanced degree highly preferred (MBA, MS, or MA).
REI - 16 months ago
REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. Founded...