Virginia Natural Gas
Virginia Natural Gas provides natural gas service to approximately 273,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the Hampton Roads area of southeastern Virginia. The company continues to be one of the fastest-growing natural gas distribution companies in the country. Services include:
Virginia Natural Gas contributes to the communities it serves through employee volunteerism and donations to energy assistance programs and nonprofit agencies.
- Maintaining the gas pipeline infrastructure
- Operating a 150-mile high-pressure intrastate pipeline originating in Quantico and terminating in Williamsburg, Virginia
- Operating two propane storage and vaporization facilities and a Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facility located in James City County and Chesapeake to supplement natural gas supplies as needed
- Responding to and repairing gas leaks
- Selling natural gas service to residential, commercial and industrial customers
- Providing customer service and billing customers for gas service
- Offering online customer information about natural gas and gas-fueled products
More information on AGL Resources' Virginia utility can be found at www.virginianaturalgas.com
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com .
The purpose of this position is to manage engineers performing pipeline, regulator station and meter set designs for natural gas distribution and transmission facilities. This is a shared service provider role focused upon the design and support of construction for new business system expansions, public works relocations, private landowner relocations, pressure improvements and system renewal projects. This role also provides engineering support for transmission, pressure control and assigned service center areas. Other areas of support include system planning (network analysis), land management, and geographical information systems.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities by Competency
- Manage the engineering and technical assistance provided for the construction and operation of transmission and distribution facilities.
- Tracks projects from concept through construction. Responsible for accounting for budget variances.
- Oversee and approve designs, by performing systematic reviews of work and answering questions on difficult issues. Responsible for approximately $ 60 million in annual capital design work.
- Works closely with company department heads to develop and prioritize the annual capital budget.
- Manages staff performance, selection, development, succession, and retention for a department of approximately 4technical FTEs.
- Develops engineers by teaching gas industry knowledge through coaching, in house classes, external training and field experiences.
- Assures engineering designs provide the most cost effective long term solution for ongoing issues with the distribution system.
- Identifies potential hazards and provides safe solution and procedures for ensuring employee and public safety.
- Develops long range plans for the optimization of the gas system.
- Collaborates with construction management, operations managers and technical services to produce effective designs.
- Collaborates with senior transportation officials and other external utility managers on complex projects and state issues.
- Influences field operations in the development of programs to improve systems and resolve compliance issues.
- Provide interface with the Marketing team, ConOps and Service Centers, discussing designs, process, and improvement areas, treating them as customers.
Facilitate strategies to ensure that performance requirements are sustained, including established service level, quality, and productivity metrics.
- Perform scheduling and budgeting activities to ensure that budgeted projects are constructed within budget year.
- Manage departmental O&M budget to ensure established operational goals are met including training and travel.
- Prepare and administer budget according to plan. Monitors budget variances. Provides monthly explanations on variances and takes appropriate action to achieve year end targets.