Pacific Biosciences, a rapidly growing biotechnology company that is revolutionizing DNA sequencing with its state-of-art laboratory analytical equipment, is seeking a Manager of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)/Risk professional, to represent the company, both internally as the steward of PacBio’s EH&S program, and externally as a key contact representing PacBio in dealings with regulatory agencies and their inspectors, landlord-tenant matters involving hazardous materials permits and reporting, worker’s compensation insurance claim reporting, and customer EH&S support for PacBio equipment and products. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor and team player in a high-energy growth environment.
The Manager will develop and implement all EH&S Programs and activities including written programs, training, auditing, and drills, industrial hygiene monitoring, risk assessments and ergonomic evaluations, requisite OSHA and hazardous materials permits and recordkeeping, incident investigations and worker’s compensation reporting and case management, hazardous waste management, and serve as the company point of contact for all EH&S matters with agencies, inspectors, and as part of customer support and for due diligence documents.
• Develop, implement, and maintain the comprehensive PacBio EH&S Program, including: written programs, training, auditing, and drills, industrial hygiene monitoring, risk assessments and ergonomic evaluations, requisite OSHA and hazardous materials permits and recordkeeping, incident investigations, emergency response, and hazardous waste management.
• Serve as the Risk Control/Loss Manager for worker’s compensation reporting, case management, and recordkeeping. Work with Human Resources on overlap responsibilities related to loss control.
• Serve as the PacBio EH&S / Risk Manager contact for regulatory agencies, landlord hazardous materials matters, etc…
• Serve as the PacBio Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) and Laser Safety Officer (LSO).
• Work with R&D and Operations staff to ensure appropriate safety measures are developed in anticipation of new product and process designs.
• Conduct workplace ergonomic evaluations and assist with corrective actions including workstation modifications and equipment design criteria.
• Coordinate compliance and support needs with Operations (Facilities, Security, Finance, Purchasing, Materials Management, and Human Resources), Manufacturing, and R&D functions.
• Set direction and get executive and operations buy-in for the overall EH&S Program.
• Fulfill all applicable local, state and federal EH&S regulations, including OSHA, CUPA, DTSC, Fire Code, City hazardous materials permits, etc…
• Assist with the development of PacBio product Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and ensure filing of vendor MSDSs.
• Serve as the EH&S support contact for PacBio customers as it pertains to company products and due diligence documents/questionnaires.
• Serve as the Chair of both the PacBio Safety Committee and the Emergency Response Team.
• Prepare and maintain a budget for the EH&S Program, track costs, and seek new bids as needed.
• M.S./M.P.H. in Environmental and/or Occupational Health.
• B.S. degree in a scientific field.
• 10+ years experience in comprehensive EH&S practice in the biotech industry that includes employee training on multiple topics for different audiences.
• Prior non-safety work experience in a laboratory setting (desirable for an understanding of lab operations, equipment, and the associated hazards and challenges of lab operations).
• Professional certification as a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) through the American Board of Industrial Hygiene and/or a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) through the Board of Certified Safety Professionals.
• Membership in at least one professional safety organization is desirable.
• A respected and recognized EH&S professional in the Bay Area is desirable.
• Required strength areas/competencies in chemical safety, laser safety, hazardous waste management, ergonomics, program development, and training.
• Some experience with electrical safety, biosafety, and medical waste is desirable.
• Must serve as a technical resource on EH&S matters and have familiarity with California state and Bay Area local environmental and safety regulations, agencies, and permit requirements. Personal knowledge of actual California and Bay Area inspectors is a plus, but not required.
• Knowledge of typical biotechnology company operations and organizational layouts.
• Strong leadership and management skills, as well as the ability to just pitch in with hands-on support when needed.
• Must know how to implement and utilize line management compliance with EH&S Program requirements (i.e., must command respect and cooperation).
• Demonstrated project management skills including managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Competency in training curriculum design and implementation including the use of on-line training tools.
• General Skills:
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have a “can do” attitude and be flexible in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- High degree of organizational skills.
- Able to work efficiently in a team oriented and interdisciplinary setting.
Pacific Biosciences - 8 months ago
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the...