• Write and manage production and distribution of membership
publications such as newsletters, mid-year and annual reports
and content for the Web site.
• Work with PR/media function to develop social media strategy
for FMI and ensure FMI staff are trained/empowered to take
• Work with internal PR, Web and marketing resources in
performing a member communications audit.
• Enhance dialog and engagement opportunities with member
companies by leveraging information from the Maxx database
and utilizing quick surveys, webinars, digital and social tools
and other recommended tactics.
• Identify and grow social media opportunities to better engage
member companies and outside influencers.
• Work to better refine and contour communications to FMI
retailer, wholesaler and associate members.
• Broaden FMI editorial calendar, identifying opportunities for
both media and member communications.
• Work closely with internal PR/media resources to ensure that
all PR plans have a strong member communications and
social media component.
• Manage the SmartBrief relationship to ensure that FMI
concerns receive due attention across dailyLead, blog and
social media verticals.
Other Job Functions:
• Conduct in-house writing seminars as needed.
• Update and distribute FMI Style Guide.
• Other communications duties and projects as assigned or
Increase member awareness of the business value of FMI’s insight and guidance by providing focused communications regarding FMI programs, resources, services and activities. Provide proof or evidence of how a relationship with FMI is important to guiding decisions and managing variables critical to food retailer success through various communications verticals: Web, print, digital and social.
Normal office environment requiring use of typical business equipment (e.g., computer, telephone, fax, copier, security system). Ability to travel to conventions and conferences as needed.
Education, Skills and Experience:
Education, Skills and Experience
• College degree or equivalent work experience in journalism,
public relations or communications.
• Approximately three to five years’ experience in writing and
editing. Prior experience in communications, PR or media
• Experience executing social media campaigns
• Experience researching issues.
• Computer literacy with basic understanding of and ability to
use Microsoft Office products to relevant new social media
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including ability
to coach other writers.
• Strong customer service and team orientation.
• Strong time management and project planning skills.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks
with attention to detail.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
FOOD MARKETING INSTITUTE is an equal opportunity employer