Western Kentucky University
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Purpose of Position
The Manager, Payroll is responsible for the design, coordination, and daily administration of payroll and associated functions of the University. The Manager, Payroll ensures the delivery of high quality services in each of these areas in a manner that is consistent with the operational needs and strategic initiatives of the University. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
• Plans, develops, organizes, and manages all operational activities and objectives of the Payroll Department
• Ensures the delivery of exceptional customer service to faculty, staff, students, and external constituents
• Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local payroll tax withholding and reporting regulations
• Responsible for preparation, review, and issuance of annual W-2 wage reporting information
• Manages reporting of wage and contribution information for state retirement plans
• Performs payroll processing for manual adjustments and other related transactions occurring outside of normal payroll processing
• Controls all tasks related to preparation of information for internal and external audits
• Oversees processing of involuntary garnishments and levies
• Oversees processing of voluntary payroll deductions
• Prepares and updates payroll Policy and Procedures documents
• Prepares journal vouchers to record necessary payroll entries in accounting records
• Balances and maintains payroll general ledger accounts
• Participates in testing and implementation of payroll system implementation and modifications
• Hires, supervises, makes work assignments, conducts performance appraisals, administers discipline, and determines compensation for departmental staff
• Prepares special payroll reporting information as needed for management
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves on University task forces and committees representing employee and institutional interests
• Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor
Minimum Training and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• CPA and/or CPP certification
• Minimum three years of experience in a payroll or closely related environment
• Minimum five years of supervisory experience
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with individuals at all levels of the University and favorably represent the institution with external constituents
• Ability to investigate, analyze, and draw appropriate conclusions to problems and issues
• Skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
• Initiative, self-discipline, confidence, and ability to lead, encourage, and challenge a team of subordinate staff
• Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations
• Proficiency with common computer applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Extensive knowledge of computerized payroll and finance systems
Physical and Mental Abilities Required
Ability to perform under pressure, at times requiring extended working hours; ability to exercise sound judgment and decisiveness, and ability to perform in a leadership capacity with impact
The duties and responsibilities of this position must be performed in a competent manner following the highest standards for leadership, professionalism, integrity, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, and customer service.
Salary Grade: 110 Salary Range: $64,000 - $68,000
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs . For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3862. For full consideration, submit application materials on or before November 30, 2013. Position will remain open until filled.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
- 2 years ago - save job
WKU To Offer Online Degree For Weyerhauser Employees Western Kentucky University and Weyerhaeuser Corporation are thinking outside the box...