University of Maryland in Baltimore, Francis King Carey School of Law is seeking a Public/Media Relations Manager . The selected candidate will be primarily responsible for the media coverage of the Center for Health and Homeland Security (CHHS) and for the daily management of media relations functions such as story assignments, placement strategies and writing. Assists the CHHS Director and Associate Directors in the proactive and reactive relationships with print and electronic media. Responsibilities include responding to direct inquiries from producers, editors, and reporters in print, electronic, and Web organizations, as well as seeking out media opportunities for CHHS.
· Supports and advise the CHHS leadership in providing strategic and effective reactions to breaking news opportunities. Develops and carries out tactical plans, deploying other staff as appropriate. Assists in planning and management of crises communications.
· Works effectively with a media relations team to maintain and enhance CHHS' reputation at the state, national, and international level.
· Writes press materials, stories for internal publications, and the Web, assists in the development of publications;
· Supervises CHHS staff in planning stories, writing news advisories and releases, and speaking with media on the phone or in person.
· Manages day-to-day staff issues related to media; coaching and skill-building; specialty training.
· Collaborates with other University media representatives, CHHS Staff, OEA staff, as well as editorial, web, and graphics staff.
· Represents the University professionally at meetings, to media outlets, and in other public settings.
· Manages CHHS news briefings, newsletter (print and electronic), marketing materials, CHHS website including media appearances, blog posts, and other content.
· Provides media training for CHHS personnel; may provide specific coaching or review comments to be made by a CHHS employee prior to a media appearance.
· Is available for unusual work hours and to handle calls in urgent news situations;
· Stays current on changing technologies and news trends. Responsible for updating staff accordingly.
· Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, public relations, communications and/or related field
· 5-7 years of experience in media relations, marketing, public relations, or journalism, preferably in an academic setting, or equivalent.
· PREFERRED: Experience with photography, photojournalism, videography, and web technology (website design) a plus.
· Established media contacts in the Baltimore and DC markets preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Thorough knowledge of public relations, communications, media sources and audiences.
· Knowledge of electronic technologies utilized in communication, including social media.
· Ability to mentor staff.
· Excellent interviewing, writing, editing, verbal skills.
· Quick-thinking, problem-solving skills, and responsiveness.
· Attention to detail and accuracy.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Closing Deadline: 3/01/2013
Original Posting Date: 2/01/2013
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
University of Maryland, Baltimore - 17 months ago