Develop, implement, and administer a comprehensive safety assurance program as it relates to bus and rail operations, employee occupational safety and health, and safety systems. Prepare and lead audits, reviews, and other assessments to determine effectiveness of identified safety programs and control measures and compliance with Federal and State transit safety requirements. Develop, and report on, safety metrics to demonstrate program and risk control measures effectiveness.
Recommend safety program improvements and risk control measures to effectively control identified safety risks. Develop, implement, and administer occupational health and safety training programs for employees at all levels of the TriMet organization.
Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Manage, direct and evaluate system safety, transit safety, industrial safety, industrial hygiene, passenger safety, and fire protection activities to control safety risks.
2. Develop safety training programs for maintenance, operators, supervisors and other affected personnel.
3. Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of safety procedures and policies to assure compliance with applicable regulations, procedures, rules, standards and safety practices for continued safety improvement of District employees and passengers. Interface with federal and state safety oversight agencies.
4. Oversee the investigation of significant accidents and injuries. Administer the review and evaluation of fleet accidents before the Accident Review and Appeals Committees.
5. Oversee the administration of Agency medical evaluation providers.
6. Oversee and maintain safety data acquisition and information reporting systems.
7. Develop and report safety metrics to demonstrate safety program effectiveness.
8. Supervise the work of the Safety staff assigned to the Safety Assurance Programs.
Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Engineering, Physical Sciences, or related field
Seven years of experience in administering safety management systems, industrial hygiene, and industrial safety programs and training activities. Transit system or fleet safety management experience preferred.
Certified Safety Professional Designation is preferred.
Basic skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, database applicatons and other software applications.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
1. Knowledge of safety management system concepts and principles and their application to safety assurance programs and system safety.
2. Knowledge of applicable fleet and industrial safety, and industrial hygiene standards and their application.
3. Knowledge of safety investigation techniques applicable to all vehicles and facilities affecting the safety of the public and employees.
4. Knowledge of Federal, State and local regulations for compliance with industrial, fleet, and public transportation safety standards.
5. Ability to manage organizational change and effectively implement policy.
6. Ability to develop, research, analyze and interpret data from claim's records, accident and injury reports.
7. Ability to express ideas effectively, orally and in writing.
8. Ability to plan and direct the work of others.
9. Ability to develop and present safety training programs and evaluate their effectiveness.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
11. Ability to operate personal computer systems including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency to accurately keyboard (type).
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 15, Exempt, Non-Union.
Selection Process – Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review/Resume & Cover Letter
2. Panel Interview
3. References & Degree Verification
It is your responsibility, and to your benefit, to describe in detail how your education, training and work experience meet the requirements of the position for which you are applying. If applicable, please provide at least ten years of your work history, including any volunteer and internship experience you may have. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and letters of recommendation with your application.
Online applications are permitted five attachments; however each attachment is limited to 5MB. Please include your attachments in the "Resume Attachment" section (please try to combine documents as much as possible). A second option for attaching multiple documents is to send them to email@example.com and we will attach them to your online application. You may also fax your materials to 503-962-3477 or 503-962-7440. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Resumes will not be considered in lieu of a completed application.
To apply, please visit our website at http://trimet.org/careers
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we currently only contact applicants who are highly qualified and most closely match our job requirements.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and submit supporting documentation with your application by the closing date of this recruitment. Documentation must be attached to your application.
Persons needing an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process should contact TriMet Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 503-962-5811. A minimum of two workdays notice prior to the need for accommodation is required.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including the elderly and persons with disabilities.
TriMet - 2 years ago