Software Development Manager, Amazon Silk
No software application is used by more people than the web browser. There are dozens of browsers available today, but all of them are based on the same basic architecture introduced nearly two decades ago. Amazon Web Services (AWS) has introduced Silk to take a radically different approach to this application that is so central to the daily life of billions of customers. With our new browser, we are leveraging the power of cloud computing to fundamentally change the way people experience the web.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to be part of our rapidly growing team. This leader will own staffing and managing the engineering team, setting the team culture and best practices and, in concert with the other product, sales, and program management, set the strategy and product direction of this start-up business.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the potential of cloud computing, and about building simple and elegant software solutions, customer-centric products, and utilizing agile development processes. This leader has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly. The candidate is a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly and who understands how to drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong team. They are a seasoned, mature engineering leader, someone who is comfortable building teams, developing staff, and building a culture of high quality and efficient execution. AWS in general, and this business in particular, operates at very large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. Finally, this leader is going to be helping drive the definition, strategy, and vision for a new business, so they must be comfortable with ambiguity, willing to roll up their sleeves to do the definitional and set-up work needed for a start-up business, and have a high level of ownership and accountability.
** For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com **
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 4+ years of industry experience.
- Experience in OOP, Java, UNIX, Perl, C++, XML, Web services, and UNIX tools.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of software development, and a similar amount in software management
- Technically sound in software development activities and life cycles.
- A proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- A passion for people management and mentorship.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Experience with large scale, distributed systems.
- Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
Amazon.com - 22 months ago
Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By...