Responsible for managing the day to day operations and staff of the Staff Counsel operation and to provide legal counseling including representation in litigation to the company or the company’s insured persons. This position has regular contact with Staff Counsel, Management, Litigation Specialists, Insured Persons and Legal Community.
- Manage assigned caseload of civil cases.
- Handle Bench and Jury Trials including opening arguments, examinations of witnesses, trial motions, jury instructions, and closing arguments.
- Handle mediation hearings including opening arguments, direct and cross examinations of witnesses, legal technical motions, and closing arguments.
- Handle motion calls including appearing before the judge to plead the motion or responding to plaintiff’s motions regarding aspects of the litigation suite.
- Take depositions including sworn testimony of plaintiffs and other witnesses.
- Prepare written answers to Production Requests and Interrogatories served on the insured persons by opposing counsel and review answers (discovery).
erify with our insured persons what occurred and keep them informed as to proceedings.
- Handle court filings, arbitration, depositions and trials preparation as needed.
- Maintain budgets for all Staff Counsel operations including preparing, comparing anticipated and actual budgets, and reporting on and correct budge differentials.
- Project the growth and participation rates for all existing operations and anticipate new potential growth areas for implementation of Staff Counsel.
- Oversee the legal checking accounts.
- Monitor cycle times on files and attorney closing ratios for all Staff Counsel operations.
- Audit legal files to ensure compliance with all best practices and legal requirements.
- Track all cases handled, review potential excess cases and report on all operations monthly.
- Establish new Staff Counsel operations including budget, office location, office set-up, supplies, and employee hiring.
- Provide ongoing training and development of managing attorneys, staff attorneys, and support staff.
- Attendance at trials for all operations to provide, support, critiques and assist in professional development for attorneys.
- Bill services, compiling all Unallocated Loss Adjustment Expenses (ULAE) associated with operations and converting to Allocated Loss Adjustment Expenses (ALAE) billed across all claim files handled quarterly.
- Assist both Claims Legal and General Counsel’s Office in other matters as they arise, including research for legal opinions, review of legal issues, develop improvements in efficiencies, focus on cost containment, consistency among operations, and customer service to both the insured persons and the company.
- Working knowledge of Civil Procedure and Tort Law for state(s) licensed.
- Juris Doctorate Degree required.
- Valid law license in applicable states.
- Minimum 7 years litigation experience; civil insurance defense strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of previous management experience.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of financial, legal and technical information.
- Strong analytical and negotiation abilities.
- Ability to exercise detailed analysis and problem solving. A
- bility to maintain the highest level of discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and exercise strong, sound judgment.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful, flexible. Strong orientation to customer service.
- Ability to prioritize activities and projects. Skilled at time management and attention to administrative detail.
- Strong technical aptitude in regards to software applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to process high volumes of work, while meeting deadlines.
- Required to travel significantly by air and/or ground carrier (car).
- Required to talk or hear in order to gather and present information.
- Regularly subjected to changing priorities, time pressures and constraints, and a high level of job related stress.
Affirmative Insurance Holdings, Inc - 22 months ago