This position is responsible for the design and engineering standards and specifications for control and protection of new substations and modifications to existing substations. Responsible for reviewing and analyzing performance of substation relays and other control and protection equipment and components. Interfaces with manufacturers and the Substation Performance and Reliability Group to recommend and provide estimates for new projects and upgrades of existing equipment. Responsible for ensuring that NSTAR’s relay and control schemes are in compliance with the Northeast Power Coordination Council (NPCC) and ISO-NE standards. Oversees the development of new technologies in control and protection, and integrates them into existing systems.
- Provides design and engineering standards for control and protection equipment in new and existing substations and substation equipment.
- Accountable for the development, maintenance and management of material, construction, operation, maintenance and design standards for Electric Operations.
- Reviews the relay and control schemes at new and existing substations to ensure they are in compliance with the NPCC and ISO-NE.
- Develops procedures to perform acceptance testing on all new substation control and protection equipment. Recommends testing procedures to the Field Engineering Group.
- Provides cost estimates for new control and protection projects.
- Coordinates with utilities that interface with our transmission and distribution system to ensure the integrity of NSTAR’s control and protection schemes. Also responsible for coordinating with customers that have their own substations or cogeneration facilities.
- Assists with the annual plan and budget for substation operation and maintenance in collaboration with Electric Operations. Adjusts the plans, as needed, through incorporation of the results of root cause analyses and system changes.
- Collaborates with other managers within Engineering on life cycle, risk analysis, reliability reporting and planning and response to major events.
- Oversees the management and development of area staff. Implements programs to ensure employees possess technical and behavioral skills required to support operating plans. Manages, selects, coaches and develops area staff.
- Manages the area by establishing and monitoring area goals, policies, plans, programs, performance objectives and budget. Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement programs and policies. Establishes operating and financial objectives and aligns with department goals. Responsible for management of area financial resources.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires thorough knowledge of substation design engineering, including a strong background in relay protection, and operations support, managing operating budgets and operating plans and working cross functionally.
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline. Master’s Degree in Engineering or MBA preferred.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years in related activities, including previous managerial experience. Demonstrated experience in planning and leadership of performance improvement efforts.
Licenses & Certifications: Professional Engineer License preferred.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and support a diversified environment. It is the policy and practice of NSTAR Electric & Gas to employ persons and to assign work, pay, promote and offer training to all persons on the same basis without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran.
NSTAR - 30+ days ago
NSTAR Electric plays a starring role in bringing electric power to Boston. The company's electric transmission and distribution utility...