Manager, Transportation Safety & Operations
This position provides safety (75%) and operations (25%) support to the regional, area and local transportation operations organization. This manager implements activities to maintain oversight of regulatory compliance status; provides training and professional development for management and CMV operators; coordinates and manages the crash management process; conducts audits and inspections of the transportation safety management process; and monitors metrics and indices reflecting performance.
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation Safety, with a dotted line relationship with Regional Transportation leadership, the Manager provides support, direction and guidance to regional transportation leadership across 4 regions including all BUs and locations in a multi-platform fleet comprised of private, outsourced and leased drivers. The manager interacts with and directly influences the behavior, performance and knowledge of all private fleet CMV operators.
Key Responsibilities - Safety:
Ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations regarding transportation and workplace safety:
- Monitoring driver qualification files and the hiring and selection process
- Reconciling active and inactive driver qualification files with field points & JJ Keller
- Reviewing People Net hours of service records for accuracy
- Assuring DOT drug / alcohol program is compliant with regulations
- Work with maintenance vendors to assure PM compliance and demand maintenance are compliant with FMCSR 396 of the Federal regulations
Overseeing and implementing the elements of a Crash Management process including coordination of reporting, investigation, documentation and management of incidents
- Review accident file contents for accuracy and documents needed
- Gatekeeper for accident preventable decisions
- Assure proper accountability is delivered for preventable accidents
- Provide a comprehensive & accurate monthly report containing appropriate metric frequencies with target and previous year’s comparisons
- Provide monthly scorecards which include tactics and activities from a National perspective
Developing materials and conducting training for drivers in the implementation of the Transportation Safety Management System
- Assure Smith System in vehicle driver training is completed with every active driver
- Assure vehicle inspection hands on training is completed with every active driver
- Assure load securement training is completed with every active driver
- Assure all active drivers are trained in proper mirror placement principles
- Assure all active drivers are trained in close quarter maneuvering principles
Mentoring the competency of managers in safety management practices, protocols and procedures
- Conduct an overall DOT compliance course 2 times per year
- Teach Smith System ride along principles to Management (this is not a certification)
- Create and communicate the accident management protocol for area and local managers
- Perform May Day accident training to all levels of the Organization
Conducting audits and inspections of private fleet and vendor practices to monitor compliance
- Conduct DOT compliance audits at regulated sites
- Institute a site self inspection protocol for all sites
- Conduct maintenance vendor audits to determine maintenance compliance with FMCSR regulations
- Conduct periodic inspections of JJ Keller 3rd party administration compliance with DQF, CSA & D&A program requirements
Monitoring CSA Basic Scores to address trends and drive performance
- Provide field teams with CSA basic scores & reports
- Oversee and monitor roadside inspection process reports
- Maintain roadside inspection documentation
- Coach field management on roadside inspection issues
Key Responsibilities – Transportation Ops
Carrier/Fleet Network Management
- Contract negotiations support, carrier compliance, claims, assist with RFPs, equipment management, resource allocations, Fleet MS/TMS, metrics/KPIs, contingency planning,
Customer Interaction (External)
- Last mile execution, systems, consultative services (external & internal), sales presentations/part of sales team, procurement interaction, daily distribution of product
Business Partner and RBT/LBT member alternate
- Subject matter expert, design & implement customer solutions, serve all BUs, quarterly business reviews, work with account managers,
- Intermediate knowledge of Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Intermediate knowledge of Analytical Tools (Hyperion, Data Mining/Reporting) and other logistics software
- Working knowledge of the performance management/ monitoring systems
- Working knowledge of federal and state safety laws, particularly FMCSR & OSHA standards.
- Analysis and identification of risk trends, problems and solutions.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely using appropriate mediums (for example, face-to-face, e-mail, and presentations), listen effectively, demonstrate understanding, and clarify meaning for others.
- Ability to analyze, define, diagnose, and resolve problems based on sound logic and rationale.
- Ability to develop, coach, and mentor others including the ability to provide development experiences and network opportunities, advise, and teach to prepare others for effective job performance.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team, including those holding divergent and/or opposing views and goals.
- Understand and apply meaningful operations and safety performance metrics.
- Ability to lead and influence in a matrix organization
- Ability to plan and execute events, safety meetings, accident review meetings, and safety celebrations.
- Develop and communicate informative presentations and strategies for stakeholders and managers to gain understanding and consensus.
- Possess extensive knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1910 regulations
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain, or related field
- 5 – 10 years transportation management and/ or safety management experience