Manages the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) recordation, design and survey programs including developing and implementing procedures, controls and systems necessary to improve data recordation and accuracy. Establishes and maintains the strategic direction of the group, leveraging internal and external resources to improve GIS across the enterprise.
· Supervises assigned employees, including hiring, evaluating, training, performance management, compensating, motivating, coaching, and developing goals and procedures to ensure the achievement of goals.
· Consults with and acts as liaison to end users, management, vendors, other government agencies, and IT/GIS resources within the Company’s service territory.
· Analyzes and reviews GIS needs and requirements, analyzes GIS problems and recommends improvements and/or modifications, including:
o performing QA/QC of GIS data including review for accuracy and completeness;
o documenting technical GIS procedures and metadata of GIS datasets, as well as defines inter-departmental business processes;
o administering the central repository for GIS information and establishing procedures, conventions, quality assurance and documentation;
o adapting and performing spatial analysis to resolve complex GIS mapping problems and developing solutions
· Keeps pace with information technology (IT) trends through training, periodicals and experimentation in test environments and performs complex research in accumulating, and evaluating the accuracy of existing and new data elements from a variety of internal and external sources in order to make process-level decisions.
· Oversees the Company’s design and survey activities.
· Works collaboratively with IT group and contractors to establishes and continuously improve systems, policies and processes.
· Represents the Company's interests before external audiences, to include providing expert witness testimony and contractual negotiations and collaboration with external audiences to review and evaluate the effectiveness of existing programs, guidelines, systems and services within the assigned unit.
· Oversees the creation of CAD designs for distribution and transmission piping installations and retirements, including plans and profiles, regulator stations, bridge, railroad and stream crossings, complex traffic control plans, sediment control plans, and as-built drawings; oversees the storage and maintenance of the Company's installation records for new and existing facilities.
· Develops and implements a Strategic Sourcing Plan for the Design, Survey, and Mapping areas.
· Manages the deployment of Survey resources to provide support to various groups within the company, including support for new business and replacement construction projects, as well as miscellaneous Engineering and other projects.
· Conducts and directs the development of queries and analyses using spatial and non-spatial databases to assist with planning, maintenance and operational issues.
Job Description - Requirements
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field, with exposure to surveying and/or GIS.
· A minimum of 7 years of experience in a construction-related field, with at least 3 years of practical experience implementing GIS enterprise business solutions, survey, and/or utilities mapping database development.
· At least 3 years of direct supervisory experience.
· Experience and demonstrated working knowledge in the integration of GIS with work management, network analysis, SCADA, customer information, document management systems and other relevant enterprise IT systems.
· Demonstrated working knowledge of mapping systems, construction drawings, and drafting software applications such as AutoCAD or Microstation.
· Proven ability to use computer software and applications, including Microsoft Office, to share, retrieve, research and present business information.
· Demonstrated ability to present diverse ideas logically and concisely both verbally and in writing.
· Demonstrated ability to establish rapport and effective working relationships with business partners, supervisors, subordinates, and peers.
· Demonstrated ability to successfully influence/persuade to achieve desired business outcomes.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively evaluate multiple scenarios and to implement effective solutions to broadly defined business problems.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex messages to diverse audiences at all organization levels.
· Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and processes.
· Demonstrated understanding of relevant regulations, e.g. DOT 192, damage prevention laws, etc., preferred.
Washington Gas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, disability, or other legally protected status.