Manager of Government Relations
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. Community, Education, Government, and Public Affairs (CEGPA) currently has a Full-Time opportunity for a Manager, Government Relations.
The Community, Education, Government and Public Affairs (CEGPA) Directorate develops best-in-class communications, science education, government relations and community involvement programs that advance the science and science education missions of the Laboratory, contribute to public understanding of science and enhance the value of the Lab as a community asset and to ensure that Laboratory internal and external stakeholders are properly informed and have a voice in Lab decisions of interest and importance to them.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Management responsibility for BNL’s New York State and Long Island Government Relations programs and support for the Lab’s federal relations programs
- Responsible for developing, executing and measuring the effectiveness of strategic government relations plans designed to support the priority programs and initiatives of the Lab.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with federal, state and local elected and government officials and their staff
- Develop outreach programs and partnerships with key business, not-for-profit, community organizations and thought leaders to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships and advance economic development programs and initiatives on Long Island and in New York State.
- Provide strategic counsel to Lab leadership and senior management in areas of responsibility
- Anticipate and manage sensitive issues
- Lead special events, institutional tours and internal and external engagement programs
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, communications, or a related field.
- Minimum of ten years relevant experience in the areas of government relations. Preference will be given to those candidates with Federal and state experience.
- Must be conversant with the political process on Long Island, New York State and Washington, DC.
- Requires someone who is a strategic, energetic and a creative leader who can manage multiple and competing assignments simultaneously.
- Must have strong communications skills
- Must be assertive and comfortable counseling senior leaders.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Master’s Degree preferred
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job #16365.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....