Under the direction of a Technical Supervisor/Director, manages the day to day activities provides leadership and technical expertise, coordinates workflow, manages staff scheduling, training and quality activities. Ensures that testing is completed in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with regulatory guidelines and organizational policies and procedures.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the duties and responsibilities performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position. If designated by the technical supervisor/director and appropriately licensed, may serve as the laboratory general supervisor. If not designated as the laboratory general supervisor, functions as a manager in an administrative capacity.
Participates in on-call rotation.
- Manages the operations of assigned area ensuring efficiency of workflow and continuity of services
- Provides or obtains technical assistance for the daily operation of the laboratory
- Ensures that standards for compliance, use of equipment, and quality control are met as required by organizational policies and all accrediting, state and/or federal agencies
- Ensures completion of employee departmental orientation, competency testing, compliance training and other mandatory instruction
- Evaluates, develops and implements new SOPs and protocols
- Oversees occurrence reports, investigation of concerns and follow up, problem resolution, record keeping and reporting
- Provides oversight of Lab Assistants, Technicians and Technologists
- Makes recommendations for technical changes and improvements in assigned area and participates with vendors and representatives to maintain equipment services and other contracts
- Participates in external and internal audits as required
- Performs laboratory procedures and other departmental duties as required.
- Participates in the ongoing monitoring for each testing process to identify errors or potential problems leading to errors and takes effective and preventive corrective actions when indicated
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in medical technology, healthcare, chemistry, biology, biotechnology or related field from an accredited college or university. Five (5) or more years experience in a related field or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND DESIGNATIONS:
Valid and current Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist license required. Supervisor license in Immunohematology or Blood Banking preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply federal and state regulations as they relate to quality assurance and regulatory affairs
- Ability to organize work for timely completion
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to delegate, manage and supervise effectively
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Skill in operating office equipment
- Ability to travel 20% of the time
- Ability to commute with personal transportation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (up to 20 pounds).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Functions are regularly performed inside and/or outside with potential for exposure to adverse conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, fumes and/or poor ventilation, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, machinery and/or moving vehicles, vibrations, electric currents, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, gases or chemicals, oils and other cutting fluids, violence and/or disease, or pathogenic substances.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING:
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
OneBlood, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with United States Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, OneBlood, Inc. provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
OneBlood - 14 months ago
QC Lab Technician
Express Employment Professionals
Express Employment Professionals
- 16 days ago
Community Blood Centers of South Florida, Inc. provides over 75% of the blood transfusion needs for Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and...