The Hartz Mountain Corporation is the leading consumer packaged goods company in pet products. We are currently seeking an innovative team player to join our R&D organization as a Manager.
The successful candidate will possess knowledge and/or experience in the field of FOOD SCIENCE, and FOOD ENGINEERING.
As a Senior Scientist/Manager in our Pet Food R&D group, you will be responsible for the commercialization of new product initiatives while utilizing sound science, team and personal leadership skills, business savvy and industry knowledge. This is a key technical position with the following specific responsibilities:
- Commercialize global products in local markets
- Partner and work closely with Global R&D
- Lead & support technical assignments in areas of new product/process development and product/process improvement
- Participate as an active member of cross-functional business teams including marketing, operations, quality, purchasing, regulatory and legal.
- Provide technical leadership and project management to deliver business objectives; Lead commercialization project team.
- Define, initiate and execute projects to identify and implement projects to improve product quality, to reduce raw material and formula costs, and to successfully launch purchase-complete products.
- Technically drive refinements in formula and process development of novel food ingredients and formulas to meet consumer and customer needs by leveraging the latest ingredient, flavor and nutrient technologies, studying trends, and competitor products.
- Develop proprietary ingredients, formulas and products that can be patented and will provide Hartz sustainable competitive advantage; Responsibility to protect confidentiality.
- Recommend food manufacturing and blending processes, systems, and technologies; Lead scale-up and commercialization.
- Develop ingredient, formula and process specifications to ensure product quality, safety and consistency at lowest cost.
- Develop and coordinate experimental designs and testing to evaluate efficacy, palatability, safety and shelf like of new products; analyze data, prepare reports and recommend action plans.
- Coordinate sensory, microbiological or chemical analyses, product shelf-like tests, and off-site research and testing.
- Manage and mentor junior scientist/s
Minimum knowledge and skills required to successfully perform responsibilities:
- Expert in developing executable processes suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the project timeline and budget.
- Able to define the physical and chemical transformations that must occur to produce food products along with their individual processing parameters.
- Capable of making critical decisions under pressure with limited information
- Able to champion and implement new ideas and technologies
- Provide documentation to manufacturing leadership that is critical for the day-to-day operation and continued maintenance of a processing system
- Provides an understanding of the impact of the key processing parameters in the conversion of raw ingredient and in-process material to finished product.
- Able to utilize and manage external resources to deliver project objectives
- Working knowledge of Pumps, Heat Exchangers, Extruders, Depositors and Mixers
- A good understanding of mechanical equipment design and fabrication, including materials of construction and design specifications for the food industry
- Responsible for process optimization during start up and early production
- Excellent leadership and decision-making ability
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Must be open and comfortable with change
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree, (Masters preferred) plus eight to ten years of experience in food product development.
We offer rewarding challenges in a professional environment, along with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, which includes a 401(k) plan.
Quality Products for pets since 1926
The Hartz Mountain Corporation - 12 months ago
Hartz has mountains of products for pets! The company makes 1,500-plus pet care products, including nutritional supplements for birds and...