Manager, Retail Capabilities Portfolio (Job Number: 011710) |
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That’s our core purpose and the difference we make in people’s lives every day. Our purpose has shaped the direction of our company since Charles R. Walgreen Sr. founded his first drugstore in 1901, and it still does today.
Our team members make that purpose come to life in our more than 8,000 stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, in our call centers, distribution centers, clinics, specialty pharmacies, infusion and respiratory service locations and corporate offices. In fact, those daily demonstrations of our purpose have helped Walgreens become an industry leader and a household name.
Walgreens has something for everyone who wants to build a successful career. Here, you’ll find supportive co-workers, an innovative environment and the tools you need to expand your skills, help build healthy communities and advance your career.
The Manager, Daily Living Capabilities is responsible for oversight of key capability initiatives for the Daily Living organization. Partners with Loyalty and Insights, Merchandising, or Marketing leadership teams to develop and implement capabilities for respective teams. Works closely with Daily Living senior leadership to ensure governance, demand management, and oversight for key capability initiatives. The Manager, Daily Living Capabilities maintains close oversight for key initiatives and ensures delivery of business case, revenue, and profit goals for the division portfolio of Capabilities.
Manages a direct and indirect matrixed team of resources responsible for oversight of Merchandising, Loyalty, or Marketing capabilities. Holds significant financial responsibility ($20m+ yearly) to ensure the capability portfolio is developed and EBIT and NPV goals are met. Provides oversight for their respective portfolio of capabilities, and provides senior leadership steering mechanisms and regular health reporting. Makes decisions on staffing and compensation actions for the team. Implements Daily Living capability strategy and organizational processes for the team. Requires a high level of subject matter expertise, business and technical knowledge related to Merchandising, Marketing, or Loyalty.
- Manages a portfolio of projects to improve people, processes, and tool capabilities needed to build the Daily Living initiatives and programs. Leads a heavily matrixed team that manages the capability portfolio and associated projects. Aligns division projects with other company Division projects in E-Commerce, Community Operations, and Pharmacy / Health and Wellness.
- Builds and manages a direct / indirect team of Project Managers and Analysts. Coaches and develops experienced professionals through training, establishing goals and objectives, monitoring delivery and performance, and by delivering constructive feedback.
- Identifies, selects, and negotiates contractor and consultant resources. Directs management of resources and ensures support levels are being met. Monitors performance of contractors and consultants and takes appropriate action to improve performance and reduce cost.
- Collaborates with Walgreens’ leadership regarding optimization of Daily Living initiatives and programs. Plays leadership role in working with business unit owners on effectiveness and execution of projects in respective division business units.
- Advises and makes actionable recommendations to management and business groups regarding Daily Living capabilities. Plays a leadership role in supporting best practices and process improvement for Daily Living capabilities.
- Builds an in-depth understanding of Daily Living business groups in Merchandising, Marketing or Loyalty. Plays an advisory and subject matter expert role and develops processes and techniques to improve Merchandising, Marketing, and Loyalty capability delivery.
- Partners with internal and industry experts to develop leading edge new business ideas. Leads the adoption of new technology and continuous improvement processes to accelerate Walgreens’ Daily Living capability development.
Basic Qualifications & Interests
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 6 years of experience in Retail Merchandising, Retail Marketing, or Retail Loyalty
- At least 3 years of experience managing project budgets
- Knowledge of Retail capabilities including subject matter expertise in Merchandising, Marketing, and/or Loyalty
- At least 5 years of experience in project management and business analysis
- Experience in a matrixed, cross-functional environment and leading teams working on and offsite.
- Experience leading a mix of employees, consultants, and contractors.
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
- Experience and knowledge with a variety of types of program and project management approaches such as waterfall, agile, and SCRUM.
- Knowledge and experience with process and quality management techniques such as Six Sigma or Total Quality Management.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community, and with vendors
- Experience collaborating with both internal resources and external resources to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, and training staff
- At least 3 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets
- At least 3 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
- At least 5 years of experience in indirect management of team members, including assisting in the development, training and assignment of work/projects to other team members
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time for business purposes (out of state)
Preferred Qualifications & Interests
- MS or MBA in Marketing, Business, Management, Information Systems, or other quantitative field
- Knowledge of Retail Marketing, Merchandising, and/or Loyalty functions and understanding of key operational drivers of those businesses
- Experience with operational concepts in a retail setting which includes knowledge of supply chain, merchandising, marketing, operations, and IT related to retail
- Experience with financial management topics including ROI, NPV, budgeting, and basic accounting
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That is our core purpose and the difference we make in people's lives every day. Our...