About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit
Manager, Storage Operations
The purpose of this position is to manage operational business processes in accordance with Company objectives and to ensure safe, reliable and cost effective operation and maintenance of Storage and Peaking Ops facilities. The incumbent in this role is responsible for ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local rules and regulations, company policies and procedures, as well as developing and maintaining civic and community relationships.
- Accountable for establishing, implementing and maintaining a high quality Safety Culture for the area of responsibility
- In-depth knowledge of applicable operational, maintenance and regulatory policies and procedures required to successfully manage natural gas Storage and Peaking Facilities. The incumbent provides leadership for implementation and is accountable for ensuring that procedures, practices, and policies are in place in order to comply with current and future regulations, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Accountable for operating the Storage and Peaking Facility(s) in a safe, reliable, and cost effective manner. Must possess and provide fundamental knowledge of gas hydraulics and the technical skills required to understand, develop, and recommend corrective measures to the processes and equipment to ensure that the facility(s) are operated as designed, within limitations of the equipment, and to meet service obligations as required.
- Skills required to analyze, recommend, and initiate corrective measures when Abnormal Operating Conditions or system malfunctions occur.
- An excellent mechanical and electrical aptitude and a thorough knowledge of facilities’ mechanical, electrical, electronic systems and capabilities. Must have a thorough knowledge of the control systems and how they relate to the equipment and processes.
Required Degree(s), Skills and Experience:
Preferred Degree(s), Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED and associates degree in a technical field; or
- High school diploma or GED and equivalent education, training, and applicable experience in operations and maintenance of natural gas or similar facilities
- Valid state driver’s license
- 7-10 years of progressive facility work, or equivalent, including but not limited to prior experience in natural gas plant, gas storage, and/or process operations normally acquired through at least five years as an Engineer, Supervisor, Technician, Operator and/or Mechanic duties.
- Ability to utilize plant manuals, blueprints, schematics, and other applicable design documents in troubleshooting and optimizing the operational processes.
- Crisis management skills
- Public/media relations skills
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively manage employee work teams
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet aggressive deadlines
- Strongly motivated, with exceptional communication (oral and written), leadership and diplomatic skills
- Proficient skills with Microsoft applications, accounting software, database applications, computerized maintenance management systems, etc.
- BS degree in a technical field, professional certification in a technical discipline
- Prior supervisory and/or managerial experience
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical equipment is required along with the ability to utilize equipment manuals and schematics in troubleshooting the plants processes and related equipment.
- Public speaking/presentation skills
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 2 years ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...