The Manager of Advancement Services is responsible for Excelsior's fundraising information services and gift processing functions. Using Blackbaud's ® Raiser's Edge (RE) and ResearchPoint, the Manager of Advancement Services will accurately maintain a comprehensive database of constituent and donor records and will oversee the daily data operation of the Advancement unit. The Manager of Advancement Services will track prospect and donor information, constituent history, giving history, volunteer program information, and event details and is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the RE database, including input and output, technology management, and end-user training and support. The Manager of Advancement Services will also ensure that Excelsior complies with donors' intent in all gift-handling and ensure appropriate and accurate stewardship.
This position supports the alumni and development staff by assisting with the creation of reports, ensuring that advancement staff is trained in the proper use of the database, developing and implementing policies to guide data entry, making sure that the database effectively captures alumni and donor information and generates accurate financial and analytical reports, and provides analysis of data for application in an Advancement setting.
Excelsior's Manager of Advancement Services reports to the Director of Development and is an integral part of a strong, close-knit team. The position works closely with other members of the Excelsior College staff responsible for data management and entry including but not limited to Fiscal, Financial Aid and Institutional Advancement units. The Manager of Advancement Services will have direct supervisory responsibility for the Database Specialist.
Database Administration Tasks
Advancement Services Responsibilities
- Serve as Excelsior's data administrator of Raiser's Edge and other Blackbaud programs, identifying any changes and updates to RE and coordinating with Excelsior's IT department to apply patches and updates when necessary.
- Develop, implement and oversee usage of configuration, including all code tables, user rights and security groups and all global changes/imports of data to and from RE to other Excelsior IT systems. A current institutional priority is the integration of existing Excelsior databases with RE, such as the Student Information System (SIS), PowerFAIDS (financial aid system), and Salesforce ® CRM, wherever possible.
- Develop and maintain RE policies and procedures for data entry consistency and to support ethical and successful fundraising practices and to safeguard data security.
- Proactively assist users in determining more efficient ways to utilize RE and provide support to end users when errors and issues arise.
- Provide training and technical support to RE database users. This includes developing written training materials, as needed.
- Oversee that members of the Advancement Division take appropriate training offered through RE for their role.
- Maintain and develop custom monthly, annual, and ad-hoc reports on attendance, giving, and prospects, among others, as required by the College.
- Expand Excelsior's use of modules such as Special Events and Volunteer module to build departmental efficiency.
- Manage the cleanup of Excelsior's current RE system in areas such as proposal use, constituent codes, or other necessary areas needing clarity.
- Utilize advanced computer analysis skills, including the use of software to create documents, spreadsheets, timelines, and reports.
- Serve as the primary development liaison with the fiscal unit, reconciling income on at least a monthly and annual basis.
- Work with various College units to develop lists for solicitation, invitation, prospect management, and stewardship.
- Evaluate institutional and user needs and recommend appropriate procedures and solutions utilizing existing technology where possible, and other database management system products if necessary.
- Develop data collection systems and share best practices to all staff who encounter institutional prospects, including alumni, faculty, staff, and others.
- Ensure proper handling of gifts, including those to endowed funds as well as gifts to specific campaign funds.
- Collaborate with other units to develop annual Honor Roll of Donors and annual endowment reports.
- Develop system for collection of scholarship recipient thank you notes.
- Implement and manage a prospect tracking and reporting system.
- Provide analysis, research and prospect data for development staff.
- Devise strategies for qualifying new prospective donors in a continuing effort to broaden the major donor pool.
- Manage all aspects of constituent research and provide information analysis to members of the development staff in support of prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation; personal visits, events, volunteer leadership opportunities, and special projects.
- Develop systems for pledge reporting/reminders and action reports/moves management.
Build and maintain positive working relationships with team members, internal customers, and external vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- Raiser's Edge database knowledge and experience.
- 2 to 4 years of progressively responsible non-profit experience using RE, demonstrated proficiency in use of Crystal Reports, SQL and MS Office. ResearchPoint and/or other prospect research experience a plus. Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel advance functions.
- Commitment to maintaining the security, confidentiality and integrity of constituent data.
- Ability to see the larger picture for a project and work towards achieving the goals.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
- Ability to multitask in fast-paced environment.
- Must have a strong customer service orientation.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, be proactive, take initiative, resolve problems, follow through and simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner.
- Advanced query, appeals, export, and prospect module experience, preferably with wealth screening and direct mail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to explain highly technical concepts and processes clearly to non-technical clients.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks and/or projects simultaneously while addressing the needs of the office, ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Customer service focused with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse constituency, and with the ability to inspire confidence and respect among clients.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practice.
- Ability to work effectively as a team leader as well as independently.
- Ability to analyze data and create reports; advanced knowledge of Internet and database applications; and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint are essential.
Excelsior College - 10 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...