The Manager of Software Development supervises a team of Solutions Leaders, software developers and contractors to design and implement high quality solutions in support of NLA’s global business strategies. As directed by upper management, the Manager may be responsible for directing or contracting for the technical documentation of the development department projects and post implementation support. As directed by upper management, the Manager may interact with other departments within IS as a facilitator and with various NLA user communities to provide high level guidance for new and current software development projects.
This is a staff management position that is responsible for and accountable to mentor technical staff in design and development processes and to plan, lead, assign, supervise and control activities related to software design and development.
In addition, the Manager of Software Development is responsible to assure that NLAIS development standards and change controls are adhered to strictly and required reporting and process documentation is provided in a complete and timely manner
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Ø Manage staff. Focus on team building, career path development, staff training, performance management and mentoring while working within corporate policies and procedures.
Ø Define and implement new or improved work processes to increase quality and efficiency.
Ø Review and evaluate quality of work performed by programming staff. Prioritize, assign, and monitor work progress relative to schedule plans.
Ø Manage implementation activities. Manage all phases of software development and implementation life cycle including scheduling of resources, design and documentation, cost estimation, standards, release management, software change management and process compliance.
Ø Act as required to ensure that software development work satisfies business requirements, complies with approved department procedures and standards, and meets NLAIS software quality objectives.
Education and Experience:
Competencies, Working Skills and Attributes:
- 4+ years managing technical staff
- 2+ years of programming experience in custom software analysis, design and development
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent education and work experience is required.
Communication Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret verbal and written requests and directions. Must have the ability to produce detailed written documentation as necessary. Must possess professional phone etiquette and have the ability to compose emails and other written documentation clearly and concisely. Must be able to present one’s self in a highly cooperative and professional manner with both internal and external customers.
- Experience in the use of project oriented software development lifecycles and disciplines
- Experience in construction of custom extensions to third-party software systems
- Demonstrated skills in leadership and communication
- Experience with staff performance evaluations, mentoring and career development
- Ability to gain confidence of and collaborate with development staff to mentor and lead them in solution development work
- Experience building solutions that meet requirements and are delivered on-time
- Accustomed to working in a team environment with strong Configuration Management and Source Code control systems in place
- Development and implementation experience in national or global applications of current web technologies
- Knowledge of Adobe’s suite of Cold Fusion products a plus
- Knowledge of national/international transportation and warehousing a plus
The demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: Employee must have the ability to sit and/or stand at a desk for a minimum of 8 hours a day and complete tasks requiring repetitive use of hands. Employee must have the ability to see written documents, computer screens and to adjust focus. The employee must have the ability to lift and move items up to 15 pounds. The employee may be required to travel by car, airplane, or other means.
Work Environment: This job is performed in a temperature controlled office environment. Employee may occasionally be required to perform work in a warehouse environment, with exposure to heat, humidity, cold, dust, fumes, and odors.
Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc - 21 months ago